Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Jules Verne Lifetime Achievement Award

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jules Verne Lifetime Achievement Award
 Login/Join

posted
Found on the web: a report with (lots of pics) on Ray receiving the red carpet treatment (except the carpet looks green to me!):

http://www.ojaipost.com/2007/12/the_jules_verne_adventure_film.shtml

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting, indeed. And for more reasons than one. I see Michael Kelly there with whom I spoke after the RB Festival in Ventura a couple months ago about contributing a short subject for next year's festival. I also see Phantom Book Shoppe owner John Anthony Miller, and Malcolm, with whom I would love to work.

We were scheduled to drive Ray to his play Noel Sunday, after which he would be picked up by the Shrine Auditorium folks and taken to this event. When I rang him up Tuesday (I believe it was), he mentioned that the "Jules Verne thing" had been changed to that night, so we should be able to have dinner after the play. Alas, the French Bistro at which we were to eat was shut at the time. I had him sign my copy of The Twilight Zone (1985), Season One for The Burning Man and The Elevator, and as he looked at it, he asked where I got it, and I said you can get it in any store that sells DVDs. He said he had not seen it and could I get him a copy, he would pay me for it. I said I'll do it! We spoke briefly of Rod Serling, and he had a few words. It saddened me to hear him say that "he was not a nice man."

As he was leaving (we wound up not driving him after all), I mentioned that I would like to spend some quality time as I had several things I wanted to discuss, including more on Serling.

I was delighted the following day to receive an email from him in which he said that he would love to see us again, and to contact him soon to "set something up."

What a wonderful person!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
GREAT Photos!
GREAT story of the evening activities!!
WONDERFUL!!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Found on the web: a report with (lots of pics) on Ray receiving the red carpet treatment (except the carpet looks green to me!):

http://www.ojaipost.com/2007/12/the_jules_verne_adventure_film.shtml

The Green Carpet is the NEW red carpet in that the green carpet is made from recycled materials.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Or maybe all carpets are red carpets to those with rose-tinted spectacles!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post