Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Sci-Fi Magazines

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sci-Fi Magazines
 Login/Join

posted
Just wondering what are the best sci-fi/fantasy magazines being published today and if anyone on this board reads any or can recommend some quality ones?

I've never even read Amazing Stories which Ray Bradbury refers to often in interviews as one of the first places he was published.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the three best such magazines being published today are FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION, ANALOG and ASIMOV'S.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of the big three, I would say The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction would be closest to a Bradbury lover's heart, but your mileage may vary.

You can pick up the annual "Year's Best Science Fiction" anthology edited by Gardner Dozois (of Asimov's) for a sampling of SF from different markets, though about half the stories usually come from Asimov's. There's a similar anthology for Fantasy/Horror.

Sadly, Amazing stories has been in and out of print for the last few decades. I believe it is currently not in print. The last time around I think it focused much on role playing games and media tie-ins. Weird Tales is currently in print but nothing like what it once was.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray may have appeared in Amazing Stories, but as far as I know, later in the magazine's existence. Earlier on, I never remember a story of his in any particular issue. I may be completely wrong. Amazing's companion magazine was... Fantastic Adventures.

The magazine, Amazing Stories, was actually for sale one time, around late 1970's. For approx. $15,000. I inquired about it at the time (since I was working for a medium size printer/publisher) and probably still have the reply letter. But later, I heard Spielberg bought the title, or the magazine, too. Seems I remember something happening with it, but it must have been very short lived, tho the TV program bearing the name ran for awhile.

Most familiar with Ray's works appearing in such magazines as Thrilling Wonder Stories, and especially Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, still published, and in which he often appears even today. It was actually started in connection with Orson Well's theater company, Mercury Theater.
As far as I know, Ray has never written for Analog (formerly known as Astounding Stories) or Galaxy Magazine, very popular during its day. He may have written for Super Science Stories. Sure there are others. Another possibility was Planet Stories. With all the paperback titles available, the monthly SF magazine has a hard go....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would vote for "Fantasy and Science Fiction" and "Analog". I haven't gotten that familiar with Asimov's (nothing against him -- I love his scifi). For awhile "Omni" magazine did some pretty cool science fiction, but they seem to have died out a few years back.

As was mentioned, there are several good SciFi anthologies. That may be a better bet than trying to find magazines around. Let the editors find and cull out the good stuff.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. I may pick up a copy of a couple of those.

Do the short stories measure up? Are there any promising young or old writers emerging in these magazines?

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course <humbly digging toe into ground>, you can always check out this new little magazine called Permutations.
http://www.permutationspress.com

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark,

OMNI's fiction editor now runs the show at SCIFICION.
http://www.scifi.com/scifiction/