Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Interesting Facts

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Facts
 Login/Join

posted
Hey, i need interesting facts about ray for a school project, the weirdest or coolest stuff i can get PLEASE, or any really good web pages besides this one, please post on this, it is somewhat urgent. PEACE OUT. also any cool stuff about Fahrenheit 451 in particular or any good fan sites.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, Ray just got his own star on the Walk of fame. Its in front of Larry Edmunds Bookshop, 6644 Hollywood Boulevard, in Hollywood, Califonia. He recieved this on April 1 of this year.

He wrote F451 on a university typewriter which charged a dime an hour.

I'll post more as I find them

Posts: 12 | Registered: 26 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
he wrote hid first stories at the age of 11 on Butcher paper

he only recieved a High School education

From 1938 to 1942, Bradbury sold newspapers on LA street corners.

He credits the development of his imagination to his mother, who was sneaking him into movies at age three, where, by osmosis, he caught the creative virus.

it cost 9.50 to write F451 (mentioned above)

Bradbury was the idea consultant for the United States Pavilion at the 1964 World's Fair

Perhaps his most fitting tribute, however, was the naming of Dandelion Crater on Earth's Moon in honor of his collection, DANDELION WINE.

Posts: 12 | Registered: 26 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANX, KEEP EM COMIN IF U CAN

Posts: 2 | Registered: 09 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Direct from interview with RB- See: http://members.tripod.com/more_couteau/bradbury.htm

If you wish to get a sense of Mr. Bradbury's personal humor, sincerity, melancholy, and motivation, read his semi-biographic work Green Shadows, White Whale. It will offers a great narration and reflects the charmed life he truly lives.

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 05-14-2002).]

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He found out he was right and everyone else was wrong when, at age 9, he destroyed his collection of Buck Rogers comic strips due to classmates' teasing. (As an adult, he wrote the introduction to a Buck Rogers collection.) The next time he threw anything away was before his wedding in September of 1947, when he burned about a million words he had written, which "was all bad writing," and he was glad he burned it. As far as I know, he hasn't thrown away much before or anything since. He still has the toy dial typewriter on which he wrote stories as a child. I finally learned (going through antique stores) what this is. The keyboard is fake and all the letters are capitals on a dial. You turn the dial to the letter you want, then press a lever to print it--a laborious process! (As far as I know, this never appeared in his fiction--just the nickel tablet and Ticonderoga pencil.) He pestered himself into work at a radio station, where he'd sweep up and was given the job of reading comics on the air. His family was so poor that, unlike Douglas Spaulding, he didn't have a choice of an upstairs room, or a foldout bed downstairs on hot nights--just the foldout bed. He almost never had money. Snuck into movies and would sneak magazines out of stores, read them, and sneak them back. The only time he was ever caught he was caught putting one back, and since they had no rule against returning things, they did nothing to him. He used to listen to the radio and rewrite the scripts from memory (which is where all this is from, so please don't ask me for sources!) His favorite radio program was "Vic and Sade." (I know, my parents never heard of it either, but Ray wrote the introduction to a book on that, too.) This featured a character named Rush Gook, played by Bill Idelson, who went on to quite a career as a TV actor and writer. You can catch his work on "The Dick Van Dyke Show," "The Odd Couple," and others. Anyhow, he remembered they sang some silly song about flowers, and Ray astonished him by beginning to sing the song--from having heard it ONCE on the radio over 30 years previously! So, be careful what you say/do around Ray--this guy never forgets!

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post