Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ballantine 41

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ballantine 41
 Login/Join

posted
By an insane stroke of luck I got a copy of Fahrenheit 451 (the 1st edition, Ballantine 41) from a street vendor. Upon bringing it home I realized it was signed by Ray in 1954 for "my friend Oscar". Does anyone know who this "Oscar" could be? Oscar signed the book over to a Jackie 1 year later.

I know the chances of finding the lineage of this book is next to impossible but so was me finding this book on the streets of NYC for .65 cents.

Thanks,
Brad

Posts: 2 | Location: ny, ny | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bc2610
Hey!
A rare signature.... Lots of later years are around with Ray's scrawl, but a 1954?

First edition? Hmm. That adds up to more than .65 cents I assure you....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it crazy to be updating a topic over 12 years later but....

12 years of google searching has paid off! I finally discovered who the "Oscar" is in my copy of Fahrenheit 451. The book was signed by Rad Bradbury for someone named Oscar. Oscar then signed the book over to someone name Jackie. His daughter confirmed for me today that it is in fact Oscar Dystel who published some of Rays books.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05...oks-dies-at-101.html

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01 June 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That has to be the Most Amazing "Bradbury Moment" we have ever encountered on this board!

What a magnificent biography in the linked nyt site. Mr. Dystel was one of the true Book People! brad2610, thank you for sharing this RB magic with us . . . Oscar and Ray must be very pleased!

f

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome. Miracles still happen!

Posts: 7302 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, now *that* is pretty neat. Congrats on finally solving the mystery.

Posts: 28 | Registered: 19 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post