Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Receives National Endowment for the Arts Award!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Receives National Endowment for the Arts Award!
 Login/Join

posted
In case you have not heard about it, Ray Bradbury received a National Endowment for the Arts Award from President Bush yesterday, at a ceremony that took place at the White House. Ray was there in person to accept his award! Congratulations, Ray, and bravo!!!

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 11-18-2004).]

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the Washington Post article on the Awards ceremony:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A58555-2004Nov17.html

Posts: 257 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was also great to read that Ray felt up to traveling to Washington, D.C. to accept the award, knowing how limited he has been, due to health concerns, in his ability to travel outside the Los Angeles area.

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 11-18-2004).]

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is big! Not only that he was the recepient of the award, but his willingness to travel across the country to accept it.

When I spoke to him last week he sounded great, but was having a bit of trouble with his hearing aid. I wasn't sure if I was speaking too loud or what. But his voice was very strong.

Let us all continue to wish for his fully regaining his strength and health.

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Congratulations!

It also made me happy to read that Madeleine L'Engle received a medal too. I read a translation of her novel A Wrinkle in Time when I was in my teens, and it made quite an impact on me. This reminds me I always wanted to read the whole trilogy (or is it a tetralogy even?) in the original...

Posts: 62 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall that several of us from this board emailed Laura Bush to recommend Ray for this honor, quite some time ago. Maybe we helped?

DZ

Posts: 23 | Location: Ojai, CA, USA | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. I did a google search and read several articles on this. Very neat that he got it, and very, very neat that he could go.

Posts: 1964 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a wonderful honor for Ray, and he got it the old-fashioned way--he earned it!! Heartfelt congratulations on an incredible achievement!

Posts: 109 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is long overdue. Long overdue! Long, long overdue!!!!

Did I say...long overdue?

LONG OVERDUE!!!!!

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found on Google an article in the Washington Post and a nice photo of the recipients of the award in the Oval Office.

Check it out as it quotes Ray saying that "it was the greatest day of my life."

Posts: 294 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What the heck took so long. This could have, SHOULD HAVE, been done back in the 70's or 80's.

On second thought...Now's the perfect time.

Congratulations Mr. Bradbury.

Posts: 901 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES!! CONGRATULATIONS, RAY!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ditto!

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great news! Congrats to Mr. Bradbury!

Posts: 213 | Location: New Berlin, WI, USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury is one of the most distinguished, accomplished, awarded, and widely read authors in any genre. This prestigious award from the President of the United States confirms what so many here have been saying since the inception of the website: "Mr. Bradbury's works are for all times influencing so many generations past, present, and yet to come!" Three cheers!!!

This is so well deserved and indeed long overdue. The administrators who realized this in naming RB a National Endowment for the Arts recipient are to be commended!

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post