Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    did ray have any brothers and sisters?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

did ray have any brothers and sisters?
 Login/Join

posted
hey.. did Ray have any brothers and sisters...
I was just thinking about it ...

-sandy

Posts: 12 | Location: fairfax,va,USA | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Identical twin boys, Leonard and Samuel, were born in 1916--four years before Ray, but Samuel died two years later, so Ray never "knew" Sam except as a "ghost." Sad to say, when I visited the Waukegan cemetery in 1984, several family graves, including Sam's, were not marked. I heard something about this situation having changed since--anyone know?

Ray was born in 1920. A sister, Elizabeth, was born about six years later. She died about a year after that. I never did learn what Samuel or Elizabeth died of. (Sam--not that Sam--if you're reading this, do you know?) Ray had been jealous of his sister and was DEEPLY affected by her loss. He NEVER got over it. It is mentioned briefly in "Dandelion Wine," as is the death of his grandfather, who died around the time Elizabeth was born.

Leonard grew up, married, had kids, and lived to be pretty old, but I don't know if he is still living, or, if he died, at what age and from what cause. (Again--Sam?)

More parallels between Ray and me. My only siblings are identical twins, and one of them has the middle name of Elizabeth!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion:

I'm guessing...but if Sam died in 1918...it's likely that it was from the Swine flu epidemic that killed millions of people...

There is an effective movie about the tragedy, produced by Horton Foote, and starring Matthew Broderick, called, "1918".

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wow, thats interesting and all thoses losses in his family ...thats horrible ...

many thanks ...
-Sandy

Posts: 12 | Location: fairfax,va,USA | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Updates, coming.

Later
Patrick

[This message has been edited by FH 451 (edited 04-05-2004).]

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Patrick! If Skip is still alive, I hope Sam interviewed him for the forthcoming biography!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Skip" is mentioned in The Inspired Chicken Motel and in the Martian Episode (on video) that included Hal Linden.

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was a "Skipper" in the original version of "The Night." I named my cat Skipper partly after this, partly after "Gilligan's Island," and partly after one of my favorite dolls from childhood. So my cat is very indirectly named after Ray's brother. My other cat is Captain Dandelion McCat. The "Dandelion" is after "Dandelion Wine" (he is orange and yellow) and the "McCat" Ray added himself!

posted Hide Post
Wow, Dandelion, I guess it's true that great minds think alike! My cats are named Gilligan and the Skipper, in tribute to one of my favorite and admittedly silliest tv addictions.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's funny, because if I got a cat after Skipper I was going to call it "Little Buddy." That's a good name for a boy or a girl cat.

Ray's childhood nickname, by the way, was "Shorty," if anyone wants to name their pet that.

posted Hide Post
Interesting string.

Here's one I've wondered about:

Do any of Ray's childen write?

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturday night, Ray Bradbury's brother, Leonard "Skip" passed away, in his sleep, at home. He went peacefully, with his wife, at his side.

Those of you who have Ray B's home phone number, please don't call at this time.

The man has a had a few close family/friends members leave this world, in the last few months. So Please say a prayer for him.

Take care
Patrick

Posts: 141 | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JRS--I once asked that same question about Ray's children, I think about a year ago. I was told that one daughter writes for a soap opera, "Santa Barbara," I believe.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh. Cool.

Posts: 69 | Location: Matthews, NC, USA | Registered: 20 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scary how this thread started...and ended.
Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post