Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
groovista: Tell Robert Graves (ha) I'm working on a poem using only the letters in the word •money•! Maybe it'll be worth two bits after it's finished.

Here's the beginning of it:

No enemy
On Moon o' on eon yon
Eye my money.

No one!

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of the change we think we see in life is due to truths being in and out of favor.
- Robert Frost

The worst sin toward our fellow creatures is not to hate them, but to be indifferent to them: that's the essence of inhumanity.
- George Bernard Shaw

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People will buy anything that is one to a customer.
- Sinclair Lewis

I believe that people would be alive today if there were a death penalty.
- Nancy Reagan

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Howard Hughes was able to afford the luxury of madness, like a man who not only thinks he is Napoleon but hires an army to prove it.
- Ted Morgan

Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and, instead of bleeding, he sings.
- Ed Gardner

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I have suffered a great deal from writers who have quoted this or that sentence of mine either out of its context or in juxtaposition to some incongruous matter which quite distorted my meaning, or destroyed it altogether.
- Alfred North Whitehead

(Also, this quote could have come from any writer of the Christian scriptures, could it not?)

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Man has to suffer. When he has no real afflictions, he invents some.

- Jose Marti

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness.

- Joseph Conrad

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?

- Irv Kupcinet

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
...and we never went to the moon...

but if of ships i now should sing, what ship would come for me?

Posts: 18 | Registered: 22 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"...both the believer and the unbeliever share, each in his own way, doubt and belief, if they do not hide from themselves and from the truth of their being. Neither can quite escape either doubt or belief; for the one, faith is present against doubt; for the other, through doubt and in the form of doubt. It is the basic pattern of man's destiny only to be allowed to find the finality of his existence in this unceasing rivalry between doubt and belief, temptation and certainty."

-as Cardinal Ratzinger
Pope Benedict XVI

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer.
- Henry Kissinger

Democracy means government by discussion, but it is only effective if you can stop people talking.
- Clement Atlee

Thank you for sending me a copy of your book. I'll waste no time reading it.
- Moses Hadas

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Everything you can imagine is real.
- Pablo Picasso

Nice guys finish last, but we get to sleep in.
- Evan Davis

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Everything you can imagine is real.
- Pablo Picasso

Doug: Interesting quote. I came up with that conclusion back in the hippie 1960's. Didn't have to read Picasso. I still agree with that today. But that's were sanity and insanity divide. And that is where Hell comes in. That's why Christ said the way to heaven is a narrow road. Meaning everything you can think of is actually real, and that, instead of letting the baby wander into traffic thinking it's a playground, God guides us past the pitfalls, thru a narrow way. If we listen. People in nut houses get caught in the reality of their 'illusions.' Our brains are TV sets. On, everything works just fine. This circuitry does that, and you need these connections to cause that to happen. But...ultimately, you have to be plugged in, and still nothing works unless it comes from the outside, a signal. Just like people. We all work from either God speaking to our hearts, or the dark side of everything gnawing at our souls. the world, daily grind, our stupid selves.

Oh! But, getting back to a quote for the day:

Luke 10, verse 16:
And Jesus said to the disciples, "Anyone who accepts your message is also accepting me. And anyone who rejects you is rejecting me. And anyone who rejects me is rejecting God who sent me."

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A person is never happy except at the price of some ignorance.

- Anatole France

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"As for the Republicans, how can one regard seriously a frightened, greedy, nostalgic huddle of tradesmen and lucky idlers who shut their eyes to history and science, steel their emotions against decent human sympathy, cling to sordid and provincial ideals exalting sheer acquisitiveness and condoning artificial hardship for the non-materially-shrewd, dwell smugly and sentimentally in a distorted dream-cosmos of outmoded phrases and principles... Intellectually, the Republican idea deserves the tolerance and respect one gives to the dead."

- H. P. Lovecraft

"Live Forever!"