Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"

- Ronald Reagan

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"We are creatures bound by time and space talking about a God who is not. True religion is not about possessing the truth. No religion does that. It is rather an invitation into a journey that leads one toward the mystery of God. Idolatry is religion pretending that it has all the answers."

- Spong

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The future, according to some scientists, will be exactly like the past, only far more expensive."

- John Sladek

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doug Spaulding, why so much a bunch of baloney in so few sentences from that Spong guy?

He obviously doesn't know that Christ created everything you see and touch including the nails he was crucified with and the hill on which it occured. Jesus Christ spanned time and space so we CAN know God. Poor fellow, that Spong. Jesus said I AM THE TRUTH. Spong again never seems to have read that. Actually, he simply doesn't believe anything in scripture. Period.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
"We are creatures bound by time and space talking about a God who is not. True religion is not about possessing the truth. No religion does that. It is rather an invitation into a journey that leads one toward the mystery of God. Idolatry is religion pretending that it has all the answers."

- Spong

And here I was, about to say how profound Mr. Spong was in his understanding of Mankind's search for God and Truth(s), as there are so many of them, you know, and each is the correct one. Then I read Mr.Knox's response. The case was never so well made as to the validity of Spong's words.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bishop Spong is one of those people who have gone thru rigorous theological studies, important positions as teacher in the Christian church, but has always immersed himself in a fellowship of like-minded teachers and theologians, liberal to the hilt, a throwback to the religious leaders of bygone centuries that condemned Christ. For instance, the Second Epistle of JOHN (vs. 7)says directly such a person as Bishop Spong is a deceiver and an antichrist, since he rejects the bodily resurrection of Christ. There are many verses and passages that offend Spong, but he has taken the liberty to reject them all.

There is a popular Episcopal priest by the name of Malcolm Boyd. Years ago I had the opportunity to talk with Malcolm Boyd and was unaware that he was a homosexual living as an ordained Episcopal priest, with a lover. Imagine my surprise and shock when I discovered this. What tenets of the faith did he have to cross off the scripture in order to be comfortable with his theology? Same with Spong.

Spong, if he be on a search for truth, has trodden over truth in a heart that has turned cold thru whatever it is that he has done to create the condition. Often its immorality. When scripture says there is strong delusion within the confines of sin, it means just that. You think you are right when you are terribly wrong.
That's why most immoral people have high standards of self righteousness. Better than drugs!

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

- Douglas Adams

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"God is my favorite fictional character."

--Homer Simpson

Posts: 6 | Registered: 29 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I can hope that this long sad story, this progression of priests and ministers and rabbis and ulamas and imams and bonzes and bodhisattvas, will come to an end. I hope this is something to which science can contribute ... it may be the most important contribution that we can make."

--Steven Weinberg, Nobel Prize in Physics, 1979

posted Hide Post
"There's a gullible side to the American people. They can be easily misled. Religion is the best device used to mislead them."

--Michael Moore

posted Hide Post
The only thing constant in this world is Change.

Some of you have found The Truth, in The Book, composed by men 1,682 years ago, locked the door, thrown away the key and do not respond to change, except to say that it is sinful, heresy, anti-Christ-like behavior. Wallow in your certainty, while I enjoy the uncertainty of new knowledge that comes from an ever-increasing horizon of searching that will bring me, I hope, closer to God.

All living things on this Earth are reflections of God, Ant through to Zebra, including all the variants of humankind that have always and continue to populate this Earth. Mankind has achieved a higher level of comprehension of our environment and possesses a cognizant awareness that allows us the opportunity to change how we perceive the world, unlike the other members of our animal kingdom, who can only react to what they are presented by their limited senses and governed by a more rudimental operating system. We all learn, accumulate data, process it and then take actions based on what our operating systems tell us that action should be.

Sin is a definition in a Book that was composed to serve a purpose, crowd control of the unknowing, to pacify them and direct their collective actions toward a predefined goal by those with the power to do so for their own benefit. Next to compound interest, Original Sin is probably the greatest of concepts developed by Man to control others. How can you fit into this wonderful symphony of life if you come to it with a burden of guilt for something you did not do? Wake up, be good to each other, there is no Sin, only those who cast stones at others for their own purposes. There is good and there is bad, there is love and there is hate. The answer is Love. The message that was supposed to be taught by The Christ was as close as we can come to a fine methodology for living together. Love one another as you would love yourself.

A closed mind, given a Truth to live by, can be a happy mind.

Uncertainty can bring anxiousness, requires courage to endure the demands of work leading to the thrill of discovery, with the reward of wonderment at a partly answered question that reveals another aspect of God.

That is the method of science. What I knew yesterday is continually modified by what I learned today, not diminished, but made more correct as a model of a reality. We, as Humans, are but a part of that reality.

That scraping sound you hear is the shifting of my pair of dimes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patrask,

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"We need not to be let alone. We need to be really bothered once in a while. How long is it since you were really bothered? About something important, about something real?"

- Ray Bradbury

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
patrask:
First line of your post, I agree!

The next is a paragraph:
Scripture took over 3,000 years to write, by many men over many generations, and finally compiled in some 66 books. What's this 1,682 years ago thing? If someone's belief in Christ is not bringing stunning new knowledge each day, then that's a problem. Christianity is not boring.

Second paragraph, about all living things a reflection of God:
Certainly true!

Third paragraph:
Total disagreement. "Sin" is actually an ancient
'archery' word from the old Greek (or is it Hebrew?) denoting an action whereby the fellow shooting the arrows misses the target he is aiming at. That's called "sin". That word was carried over to the nature of man. Basically it meant that man cannot know God unless God first reveal Himself to him. Pride comes, as with Lucifer, when one attempts to usurp the fundamental nature of sin and so thinks that he is revealing God to himself.

Additionally, that statement you wrote about Christ saying to love one another, is actually the second most important claim, not the first, tho it is likened to the first, but NOT the first. The first command Christ gave was: you must love God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. And the second, likened to the first, you must love your neighbor. Knowing and loving God, first. Loving neighbor, second.

Going on...
A closed mind, given a Truth to live by, can be a happy mind. (I think I know what you are saying!) Go along with the rest of your post.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic - on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg - or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to." (C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity)

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post