Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts, he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand, he is offered something which affords a reason for acting in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained in this way."

- Bertrand Russell

But Russell was a devout atheist. An atheist's atheist. So his logic is death bent. "All there is, is what here is!" could be a quote from Bertrand Russell that he would agree with.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Bradbury once had a meeting with Bertrand Russell. That's a conversation I would like to have heard.

PS: It's good to know that Mr Knox has the intellect to second guess one of the greatest philosophers in the history of western civilisation.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
But Russell was a devout atheist.

So? This is the Quote of the Day thread, not the Religion 101 thread.

philnic: you're a funny man.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
I believe Bradbury once had a meeting with Bertrand Russell. That's a conversation I would like to have heard.

PS: It's good to know that Mr Knox has the intellect to second guess one of the greatest philosophers in the history of western civilisation.

Philnic! You're a good guy and I love your website. A dedicated Bradburian archivist for sure.

But I am not second guessing one of the greatest philosophers in the history of western civilization. He expressed his atheism and knew it well. If he could only understand the event of the creator of everything embodying himself into a human form. Christianity is a rescue story. You cannot intellectualize it or philosophize it. It's all about taking on the mind of Christ so you, thru frail mortal means, begin to see the waves of a shore so far away that compassion for your fellow man becomes a distinct experience apart from anything you could muster. Russell never experienced that. If he did, where did he talk about it? Not a line. How could you call that second-guessing?

And now for a quote:

A QUOTE from MARX~

"Whatever it is, I'm against it"

from Horsefeathers, (1932)

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Philnic! You're a good guy and I love your website. A dedicated Bradburian archivist for sure.

Isn't he though?

quote:
It's all about taking on the mind of Christ...

Mr Knox, I stand with you on this and on belief in God, and I always will. We may have different methodology, but we're together on this.

quote:
A QUOTE from MARX~

"Whatever it is, I'm against it"

from Horsefeathers, (1932)

You're a funny man! And so was Marx.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit."

- Richard Bach

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"If we were to wake up some morning and find that everyone was the same race, creed and color, we would find some other cause for prejudice by noon."

- George Aiken

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Absolute faith corrupts as absolutely as absolute power."

- Eric Hoffer

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

— C. S. Lewis

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Censorship can't eliminate evil; it can only kill freedom."

- Garrison Keillor

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Never doubt that a small group of committed people can change the world; indeed it is the only thing that ever has."

- Margaret Mead

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"God develops the fruit of the Spirit in your life by allowing you to experience circumstances in which you're tempted to express the exact opposite quality. Character development always involves a choice, and temptation provides that opportunity."

-Rick Warren

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."

- Douglas Adams

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"I belong to no organized party. I am a Democrat."

- Will Rogers

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
I wonder how many men, hiding their youngness, rise as I do, Saturday mornings, filled with the hope that Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam and Daffy Duck will be there waiting as our one true always and forever salvation?
"Why Cartoons Are Forever", Los Angeles Times by Ray Bradbury ~ 3 December 1989  

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post