Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Whoa. . . .we must keep perspective:
"I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter."
-Walt Disney

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some beautiful writing:

"The disease of the lady Madeline had long baffled the skill of her physicians. A settled apathy, a gradual wasting away of the person, and frequent although transient affections of a partially cataleptical character, were the unusual diagnosis. Hitherto she had steadily borne up against the pressure of her malady, and had not betaken herself finally to bed; but, on the closing in of the evening of my arrival at the house, she succumbed (as her brother told me at night with inexpressible agitation) to the prostrating power of the destroyer; and I learned that the glimpse I had obtained of her person would thus probably be the last I should obtain --that the lady, at least while living, would be seen by me no more."
--from "The Fall of the House of Usher" (1839) by Edgar Allan Poe

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I'm so glad you're here, Anne," said Miss Lavendar, nibbling at her candy. "If you weren't I should be blue...very blue...almost navy blue. Dreams and make-believes are all very well in the daytime and the sunshine, but when dark and storm come they fail to satisfy. One wants real things then. But you don't know this . . . seventeen never knows it. At seventeen dreams DO satisfy because you think the realities are waiting for you further on. When I was seventeen, Anne, I didn't think forty-five would find me a white-haired little old maid with nothing but dreams to fill my life."

From Anne of Avonlea, by L. M. Montgomery. When we read this, my mom and I were floored by the "Forty-five is way old" thing!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Resources ~ Topics: "4451"

It was a pleasure to burn!!!!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In celebration of the first day of autumn, I offer you one synonymous with the season:

"He knew it was autumn again, because Torry came romping into the house bringing the windy crisp cold smell of autumn with him. In every black curl of his dog hair he carried autumn. Leaf flakes tangled in his dark ears and muzzle, dropping from his white vest, and off his flourished tail. The dog smelled just like autumn."

~ Ray Bradbury, "The Emissary" from Dark Carnival

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I always say that you should remake flops, not hits." -- Richard Benjamin

"Why take a good old movie and make it bad? Why not take a bad old movie and make it good?" -- Jay Leno

Great minds think alike, eh?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm. He came along the street of Green Town, Illinois, in the late cloudy October day, sneaking glances over his shoulder. Somewhere not so far back, vast lightnings stomped the earth. Somewhere, a storm like a great beast with terrible teeth could not be denied."

4:56pm EDT ~ "Happy 1st Day of October, Mr. Bradbury!!!"

http://total-yoga.org/wp-conte...ds/2015/07/Zen-6.jpg

posted Hide Post
“That country where it is always turning late in the year. That country where the hills are fog and the rivers are mist; where noons go quickly, dusks and twilights linger, and midnights stay. That country composed in the main of cellars, sub-cellars, coal-bins, closets, attics, and pantries faced away from the sun. That country whose people are autumn people, thinking only autumn thoughts. Whose people passing at night on the empty walks sound like rain.”

~ Ray Bradbury, The October Country

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aaaaahhh...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
~ Confucius

posted Hide Post
“Mr. Watson — Come here — I want to see you!"

*The magnitude of this forwarded message, in view of today's world of insta-everything, is not unlike the first flinted spark or chiseled wheel.

Also, a good friend of Helen Keller! Today ~ Happy BD Mr. Bell: 3/3/1847

If ever your travels are to Nova Scotia, this must be a part of your journey. Amazing seafood, coastal environs, colorful small communities, and friendly people:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Att...154972&detail=183419

posted Hide Post
Just shared this "Quote" with a very close family friend who has had nearly two years of continuous health challenges. She is a teacher of children, a trainer of sled dogs, a fundraiser to our Veterans, a woman of country heritage, a truly dedicated wife, and loving family member!

http://cdn.wonderfulengineerin...tional-quote-3-1.jpg

St.FA's message is True for all of us . . .

posted Hide Post
Our home has not had a television "cabled-up" for over ten years. Books abound! Wonderful!

I guess just too busy with "doing and being" than to sit and to wait for a two minute commercial to persuade us to buy Denham's "Dentrifice"!

RE: A poet and visionary RB was!
"The major networks, the cable networks, they're being prosecutors. They're judges and jurors and executioners. Well, c'mon, that's ridiculous. But they're doing it." ~Ray Bradbury

Enjoy and Be Well. . .
http://imgc.allpostersimages.c...ess-america-flag.jpg

posted Hide Post
Is anyone even reading the Politics thread?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Is anyone even reading the Politics thread?

I read them all!

"Live Forever!"