Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 ... 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Eternity is in love with the productions of time.
-William Blake

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But the day of the Lord will come like a thief.
-Peter

A day with the Lord is like a thousand years. And a thousand years with the Lord is liken to a day.
-Peter

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liken is a good word.

- Doug Spaulding

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Douglas, you do mean "lichen"? No?

A photo of "lichen" not liken.

Imagelichen-3.jpg (162 Kb, 7 downloads)

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a bit of dry humour. Perhaps too dry, I see.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems we, like John Wyndham, are having " Trouble with Lichen".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Why should we all use our creative power and write or paint or play music, or whatever it tells us to do?

Because there is nothing that makes people so generous, joyful, lively, bold and compassionate, so indifferent to fighting and the accumulation of objects and money. Because the best way to know the Truth or Beauty is to try to express it. And what is the purpose of existence Here or Yonder but to discover truth and beauty and express it, i.e., share it with others?"

--Brenda Ueland If You Want to Write

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion."

- George Bernard Shaw

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"Patriotism is the willingness to kill and be killed for trivial reasons."

- Bertrand Russell

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
- Samuel Johnson

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
- Bill Watterson

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The desire to take medicine is perhaps the greatest feature which distinguishes man from animals.
- Sir William Osler

The mind of a bigot is like the pupil of the eye. The more light you shine on it, the more it will contract.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
"It's been a long time since I've had champagne."

Last dying words of writer Anton Chekhov

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I don't believe in reincarnation. That's
a cop-out!! I anticipate death will
be a totally unconscious void in
which you float thru eternity with
no particular conscious awareness."

=Rod Serling=

(Doubt if he's sticking to that quote nowadays!)

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Charles Beaumont clip libRArY recently posted

http://www.youtube.com/user/Ro...ta#p/a/1/T0ezeb32CcA

got me thinking about THE TWILIGHT ZONE magazines from the '80s. The June '89 issue had a special tribute to Charles Beaumont. The issue included "Carnival" by Beaumont, a tribute short story by George Clayton Johnson "Your Three Minutes Are Up" and an excellent article by Roger Anker.

The article has this quote by Charles Beaumont:
Writing as Therapy

"I'm very cynical. I don't believe in Extra Sensory Perception or poltergeists or flying saucers. I don't believe in ghosts either. What I do believe in is the capacity of the human mind to create objects of fear--what is more frightening, for instance, than Frankenstein's monster? What we fantasy writers do is create substitutes for belief.
"All the fantasy writers I know have a way of dwelling on their own fears and phobias. A writer spends his life being his own psychiatrist."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Linnl,

posted Hide Post
"My own belief is that the universe exists as a miracle and that we have been born here to witness and celebrate." --Ray Bradbury