Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
What we become depends on what we read after all of the professors have finished with us. The greatest university of all is a collection of books.

- Thomas Carlyle

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug Spaulding,

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never thought that college was there to teach me anything, only to provide a source for my own education and so that I would learn how to gather knowledge efficiently.

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A fourfer:

I was always taught to respect my elders and I've now reached the age when I don't have anybody to respect.

- George Burns

Democracy consists of choosing your dictators, after they've told you what you think it is you want to hear.

- Alan Corenk

I think it would be a good idea.

- Mahatma Gandhi

I'm not a real movie star. I've still got the same wife I started out with twenty-eight years ago.

- Will Rogers

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are churches that will allow question and debate and that will not be bound by a first century view of the Bible, a 4th century view of the creeds or a 13th century view of doctrine and liturgy. The traditional churches are dying today and until they open themselves to dialogue with the world and allow their literal claims to be challenged, they will continue to die.

- Bishop Spong

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
There are churches that will allow question and debate and that will not be bound by a first century view of the Bible, a 4th century view of the creeds or a 13th century view of doctrine and liturgy. The traditional churches are dying today and until they open themselves to dialogue with the world and allow their literal claims to be challenged, they will continue to die.

- Bishop Spong

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So do not be attracted by strange, new ideas.

--Hebrews 13, vs 8

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. So do not be attracted by strange, new ideas.

--Hebrews 13, vs 8

The rabbi, Saul of Tarsus, I believe.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
The rabbi, Saul of Tarsus, I believe.

See, there you go again!

No!

Not Saul of Tarsus.

Paul the Apostle.

You somehow decided to ignore about 10-12 years of history in between Saul and Paul.

For those who are not aware of the story, Saul Of Tarsus worked for the Roman government as strict enforcer of Roman law. One of his jobs was to keep Christians in check. Christians back then were known as people of The Way. Not only in check, but would have complete families thrown into the animal arena; he was present at the killing by stoning of Stephen, actually supervising the event. When God got serious with Saul, he knocked him off his horse and blinded him. At the time, Saul, was on his way to round-up Christians for the courts and likely the arena.
It is calculated by theologians and historians thru the events of the day, that Saul would worked thru these things that happened to him for years, some say as many as ten years. During the beginning of this sojourn his name was changed to Paul.

No one trusted him for years afterwards, knowing only what they knew about his history. He had Christians killed. But Paul the Apostle, no longer Saul, was born again thru the power of the Holy Spirit and no longer looked back at his old life. Some ten years later perhaps, people began to understand and befriend Paul.

Paul, with an understanding of the Christ, could write:

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Isn't this the "Quote Of The Day" thread?
Though, Mr. Knox may be getting us back on track.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
For those who are not aware of the story, Saul Of Tarsus worked for the Roman government as strict enforcer of Roman law

I know. As a BTh, I am quite familiar with Saul/Paul, having taken an entire course on "Saint Paul: The Traveller and the Roman Citizen".

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Braling II:
Isn't this the "Quote Of The Day" thread?

It sure is.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Another twofer from my beloved science fiction.

He said raptly, "See what I mean? About one in thirty eats something different. And that's all we need. I tell you, Purser, wherever you look, if you look long enough, you can find a way to make most of a group turn on the rest."

- "Mr. Costello, Hero"
by Theodore Sturgeon

"I fail to comprehend your indignation, sir. I've simply made the logical deduction that you are a liar."
- Spock, Star Trek, "The Alternative Factor"

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

- Galileo Galilei

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
...or misuse.
- Braling II

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice, 'ol Pard. And here you go, Embroidery, Tink, and those who may still hold American, our Home, in highest daily regard. A lesson rests in each image and a blessing in the metaphors they represent - Enjoy!

My country, 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing:
Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrims' pride,
From ev'ry mountain side let freedom ring!
My native country, thee, land of the noble free, thy name I love:
I love thy rocks and rills, thy woods and templed hills;
My heart with rapture thrills like that above.
Let music swell the breeze, and ring from all the trees sweet freedom's song:
Let mortal tongues awake, let all that breathe partake;
Let rocks their silence break, the sound prolong.
Our fathers' God, to Thee, author of liberty, to Thee we sing:
Long may our land be bright with freedom's holy light;
Protect us by Thy might, great God, our King!

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1310458/america_my_country_tis_of_thee/

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Doesn't Tink live in UK?"

- Doug Spaulding

"Live Forever!"