Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Doug
Spaulding

Your quote from Steve Allen~
Think it rather odd, don't you?...for a man who created "The Tonight Show" on TV to say something like that. Was it the comic in him talking?

Also, it's unfair to say that today!! There are many many fine programs on television that were missing when Steve Allen made that statement. Sure, it's as cruddy as ever; and as a good as ever.

~The Supreme Court ruled against a Nativity scene in the Washington DC. area. It wasn't for religious reasons. They couldn't find 3 wise men and a virgin.
~Jay Leno "The Tonight Show"~

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
....................Tact...is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.

..................~Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The time is fast approaching when Christianity will be almost as openly disavowed in the language as in fact it is already supposed to have disappeared from the conduct of men: when infidelity will be held to be the necessary appendage of a man of fashion, and TO BELIEVE will be deemed the indication of a feeble mind."

- William Wilberforce, Anti-slavery activist, ca. 1800 (!)

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard wrote 'Tact...is the ability to describe others as they see themselves.'

Dern tootin', smartypants! Err, MISTER smartypants.

Hey, when I highlighted Nard's quote all these previously hidden periods, or ellipsises, or whatever the heck they are magically appeared. Try it. I think he's trying to tell us something.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spooky. But it raises the question of why you were highlighting it in the first place.

............Hey, I can do it too. Highlight this: :-]

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love senselessly highlighting things.

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Your quote from Steve Allen~
Think it rather odd, don't you?...for a man who created "The Tonight Show" on TV to say something like that. Was it the comic in him talking?

Also, it's unfair to say that today!! There are many many fine programs on television that were missing when Steve Allen made that statement. Sure, it's as cruddy as ever; and as a good as ever.

It reminds me of a pig rooting around for truffles - eventually you will find a good thing! I would say the majority of television programmes on today are tripe, however.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Highlight this: :-]

Now everyone's going to be looking for hidden messages all the time, which reminds me - I think I'll go watch The Da Vinci Code!

"Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes!" - Da Vinci

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve Allen wrote a pretty good science fiction story.
===============================================

Doug,

Are you familiar with "Sturgeon's Law"?

===============================================

Henry Rollins is on Carson Daly.

================================================

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

posted Hide Post
OK Back on topic.

"What the mass media offer is not popular art, but entertainment which is intended to be consumed like food, forgotten and replaced by a new dish."

- W. H. Auden

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sturgeon's Law is a great quote and absolutely relevent to the discussion about quality television... and entertainment, and food. I've got a pair of dirty socks for the first person to track it down. Google should have it.

"Years from now we want to go into the pub and tell about the Terrible Conflagration up at the Place, do we not?"

posted Hide Post
Wikipedia has a good blurb on Sturgeon's Law, q.v:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law

Cotton socks?

Matching?

posted Hide Post
You got it!

"Ninety percent of everything is crud."

I've got one very worn terry-cloth sock/nylon for you, one wool sock to get you through those freezing Santa Cruz summers, and as an added bonus for promptness I'll throw in a white cotton sock with what appears to be a small clump of dried spaghetti.

I really need to buy some napkins one of these days. And do some laundry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grasstains,

posted Hide Post
Uhhh...not just now, thanks all the same.

OK. Here's a segue:

"I feel as though the entire Russian army has been marching across my tongue in their stocking feet!"

- W.C. Fields (after a particularly hard night)

posted Hide Post
When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why God? Why me?" and the thundering voice of God answered, "There's just something about you that pisses me off."
=Stephen King

"In the beginning there was nothing, and God said, "Let there be light," and there was still nothing but everybody could see it."
=Dave Thomas, founder of Wendys

"Thank God I'm an atheist."
=Luis Bunuel

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post