Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.
- Evan Esar

There is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence.
- Henry Adams

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
- H. P. Lovecraft

To be positive: To be mistaken at the top of one's voice.
- Ambrose Bierce

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.
- Abba Eban

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The history of the Church reveals that yesterday's heresy is tomorrow's orthodoxy. The Vatican admitted in 1991 that Galileo was right. The Church is still making peace with Darwin and Freud. We have not yet begun to wrestle with Einstein and Hawking, but we will.

- Spong

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Hi! Doug, I wish that I had a quote that has some deep, etheral and compassionate meaning.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biplane1:
I wish that I had a quote that has some deep, ethereal and compassionate meaning.

Read more Spong!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
The early bird gets the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

-Anon.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
The history of the Church reveals that yesterday's heresy is tomorrow's orthodoxy. The Vatican admitted in 1991 that Galileo was right. The Church is still making peace with Darwin and Freud. We have not yet begun to wrestle with Einstein and Hawking, but we will.

- Spong

Oh, what nonsense. this Spong exudes.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Oh, what nonsense. this Spong exudes.

Oh that's right - Galileo was wrong about that whole Earth/sun thing.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Don't continue to play the fool, Doug. Not with me. Your Spong quote is nonsense because most of everything Spong says concerning Christ is nonsense.

I remember one day years back I walked into a church in Los Angeles area and they were having a Ray Bradbury display down front, near where the Pastor or Priest exhorts the crowd thru sermon. Very ornate carvings all around, with even more carvings and ornate figures near the ceiling, the upper door, even areas around the walls. But there were several people manning the tables at the entrance, and I attempted to ask them about Christ, about their thankfulness concerning the Lord's grace and undertaking in our lives. This was a church, and this was to be a religious display. And all I got was, "Oh, please look at our wonderful carvings. And those statues. Magnificent are they not?" I immediately saw they didn't have a clue. In fact, others I talked to didn't seem to re-act much differently.

I look at your Spong the same way. He'll belittle the Roman Catholic Church and sway you to think that his own philosophies and theologies are somehow acceptable. Well, they are full of lies. Dirty rotten stinking black lies. He rejects all that Christ is. He rejects the resurrection. He rejects the Virgin Birth. The list is long. And people like yourself fall for it. What a sorry mess.

quote:
As the Scriptures says, If anyone is going to boast, let him boast about what the Lord has done and not about himself. When someone boasts about himself and how well he has done, it doesn't count for much. But when the Lord commends him, that's different.
= 2 Corinthians 10: 17,18

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gang: Please don't muck up the Quote of the Day with your religious arguments. Give it a rest. PLEASE

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
Gang: Please don't muck up the Quote of the Day with your religious arguments. Give it a rest. PLEASE

Why don't you start with Spaulding and tell him to stop mucking up the quote forum with heretic Spong quotes.

posted Hide Post
At least Spaulding was posting a QUOTE. I suggest from this point on we restrict this thread STRICTLY to quotes, and allow no comments. (If you disagree with a quote, find a quote that presents the other side of the argument!)

And to justify MY post, here's a quote (with Bradburyan qualities):

"Earth is the cradle of mankind. But one cannot live in the cradle forever." - Tsiolkovsky

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
At least Spaulding was posting a QUOTE. I suggest from this point on we restrict this thread STRICTLY to quotes, and allow no comments. (If you disagree with a quote, find a quote that presents the other side of the argument!)

And to justify MY post, here's a quote (with Bradburyan qualities)

I concur.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I concur.

- Doug Spaulding

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad.

- Norm Papernick

"Live Forever!"