Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Orichalcum is a haunting, evocative word to drive my inner vision and feeling half-mad with desire for je ne sais quoi.

"We cannot approach beauty. Its nature is like opaline doves'-neck lustres, hovering and evanescent. Herein it resembles the most excellent things, which all have this rainbow character, defying all attempts at appropriation and use. What else did Jean Paul Richter signify, when he said to music, 'Away! away! thou speakest to me of things which in all my endless life I have not found, and shall not find.'"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Weapons are instruments of misfortune. Those who are violent do not die naturally."

- Lao-Tzu

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gehan Federation had done the same thing, building up fleets and armies and material stockpiles as though she were already at war.

And, in doing so, her citizens had voluntarily forfeited the very thing they thought they were fighting for—their freedom.

-The Unnecessary Man by Randall Garrett

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Everything else can wait, but the search for God cannot wait."

- George Harrison

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Only if we are secure in our beliefs can we see the comical side of the universe."

- Flannery O'Connor

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"The ego wants to be right all the time. And it loves conflict with others. It needs enemies, because it defines itself through emphasizing others as different. Nations do it, religions do it. If you identify with one particular religion, you need the nonbeliever — the other — to feel your own sense of identity strongly."

- Eckhart Tolle

posted Hide Post
"This election not about who you would want to have a beer with. It's about who you would rather have sex with. And as it looks, people want to have sex with Barrack Obama."

Michael Moore
on September 18, 2008
during promoting his book, "Mike's Election Guide 2008"

Posts: 162 | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This man Moore can only be recovered at the local upholstery factory. Watched part of that televised interview. What a slob. He said 30 million Americans are idiots who think Adam and Eve rode on dinosaurs, but he doesn't seem to think he belongs to some portion of that 30 million number he came up with. I can see why Bradbury was vehemently opposed to his using the Fahrenheit title. The guy is in need of fundamental basics of whatever will pop him to at least semi-normal.

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by embroiderer:
What a slob. He said 30 million Americans are idiots who think Adam and Eve rode on dinosaurs...

He's right.

I hope you're not calling him a slob just because he's overweight. I don't get the connection at all except for the fact that you obviously don't like him. I have no reason to believe that he doesn't bathe on a regular basis.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Once a year is a "regular basis".
Slob, though? I don't know. I think he's actually more of a twit.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Once a year is a "regular basis".

Not when we're talking about a bath!

quote:
Slob, though? I don't know. I think he's actually more of a twit.

That opinion I will accept. I don't mirror it, but I accept it as a fair opinion. But "slob" is just a derogatory term with no meaning in this case.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
But "slob" is just a derogatory term with no meaning in this case.

I'm sorry! Did I write "slob?"

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://images1.w...0%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
I'm sorry! Did I write "slob?"

No. The embroiderer did.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
quote:

That doesn't even look like him. And the baseball cap doesn't fool me.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
If we believe the page Nard linked to, I'm afraid we also have to believe this page from the same source:

http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post