Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Quote of the Day
Page 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 52

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quote of the Day
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
A statesman is a politician who’s been dead ten or 15 years.

-- Harry S. Truman

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A desperate disease requires a desperate cure.

-- Guy Fawkes

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"It was a pleasure to burn!"

--Ray Bradbury

Ah, yes..."Guido" Fawkes!
(And of course, Guy Montag - his name suggests two significant possibilities — Guy Fawkes, the instigator of a plot to blow up the English Houses of Parliament in 1605, and Montag, a trademark of Mead, an American paper company, which makes -ironically - stationery and furnaces.) http://mycontemplations.files..../03/burning_book.jpg

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am aware of the "corporate" connotations of the name Montag, but I have always thought the literal meaning (German for "Monday", the start of a new cycle of days) was significance enough for the fireman's surname.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil,
Good one! I had not heard that previously. In view of the metaphor it does make sense. How much of these interesting twists did Mr. B purposefully conjure as he was running up and down the stairs from the basement to the bookshelves of the UCLA Library back in early 1951 ("The Fire Man")?

Then this irony: "Faber" is the name of a pencil manufacturing company. Bradbury also chuckles about this in his afterword. In many ways, Faber, the instructing professor, is like a pencil, writing on Montag's notepad. On a metaphorical level, Faber symbolizes the tool (as his name implies) of learning.

Blessed "Peter Faber" also met St. Ignatius (of Loyola) and became one of his associates. He tutored Ignatius in the Greek philosophy of Aristotle while Ignatius tutored the former shepherd in spiritual matters.

Like Montag, St. Ignatius goes on to greater things, in the world's view. So, the tutor (Faber) made the difference but remained somewhat in the background!

posted Hide Post
To us Brits, "Faber" has instant connotations of publishing, because Faber is a famous British publisher - see Wikipedia entry here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faber_and_Faber

I can't help thinking that Ray must have had a few Faber books on his shelves in the early 1950s, as they published a lot of poetry.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What delightful irony!

I was not thinking of a connection between Guy Fawkes and Guy Montag when I was posting that quote.

...or was I? Subconsciously Guided? I think so!

"Oh, death!"

Posts: 176 | Location: The Forest of Aokigahara, Japan | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kukai_Aoki:
Subconsciously Guided?

(sniff, sniff)

I smell story title!

"Oh, death!"

posted Hide Post
Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door--
Only this, and nothing more."

E.A. Poe
(RB's Papa)

"The Raven" published today in the New York Evening Mirror, 1/29/1845.

posted Hide Post
Aaaahhh...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We give dogs’ time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. In return, dogs give us their all. It’s the best deal man has ever made. - Margery Facklam

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create. - William Blake

"Oh, death!"

posted Hide Post
We are always paid for our suspicion by finding what we suspect.

- Henry David Thoreau

posted Hide Post
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.

-- Mark Twain

"Oh, death!"

posted Hide Post
"Life in Lubbock, Texas taught me two things: One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell. The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."

- Butch Hancock of The Flatlanders

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post