Quote of the Day

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/8661025792

09 June 2009, 01:08 AM
philnic
Quote of the Day
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
...A censor is a man who knows more than he thinks you ought to.
- Granville Hicks

Ooh, that's Chief Beatty to a T.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
12 June 2009, 06:15 PM
Doug Spaulding
When a man says he approves of something in principle, it means he hasn't the slightest intention of putting it into practice.

- Otto von Bismarck

"Live Forever!"
16 June 2009, 02:56 PM
Doug Spaulding
The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

- William H. Borah

"Live Forever!"
17 June 2009, 02:54 PM
Doug Spaulding
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.

- Twain

"Live Forever!"
20 June 2009, 07:12 PM
robnz
I am looking for a quote by Ray Bradbury, it ran something like this... there is nothing scarier than being lost as a child, nothing more exiting than to be lost as an adult...

an exact version would be great, source etc

thanks in advance

rob
20 June 2009, 07:30 PM
robnz
I found what I wanted.

"To be lost. How frightening.
To be safely lost. How wonderful.
To not know where we are , as children, is a nightmare.
To not know where we are,as adults,travelling, is a perfect dream"

Now the challenge, can someone find the source? (I know the answer now)
21 June 2009, 10:46 AM
Doug Spaulding
Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.

- Buddha

"Live Forever!"
21 June 2009, 12:03 PM
Nard Kordell
I say that this day we call today isn't really today. If it were, then I'd have met my lawyer who said he'd meet me at 2 o'clock today. He didn't.

Kalamos Botkin, esq.
22 June 2009, 07:45 AM
jkt
To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today. -- Isaac Asimov (Essay "The “Threat” of Creationism" Isaac Asimov, New York Times Magazine, 14 June 1981

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley
22 June 2009, 07:53 AM
fjp451
jkt...and I'll call your Asimov with a Thoreau:

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." ~ HDT
22 June 2009, 08:12 AM
groovista
quote:
Originally posted by Richard:
Groovista, did Ray and Chuck Jones ever shoot the breeze? Read this interview from the April, 1968 issue of PSYCHOLOGY TODAY, and consider the breeze shot! Enjoy!

http://books.google.com/books?...ult&resnum=3#PPA3,M1

My goodness, THANKS!

www.groovium.com
22 June 2009, 08:15 AM
groovista
"There's no money in poetry, but then there's no poetry in money, either." --- Robert Graves

www.groovium.com
23 June 2009, 04:48 AM
Doug Spaulding
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
- Douglas Adams

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
- Poul Anderson

"Live Forever!"
24 June 2009, 02:24 AM
Doug Spaulding
Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it.

- Max Frisch

"Live Forever!"
29 June 2009, 04:12 PM
jkt
A purpose of human life, no matter who is controlling it, is to love whoever is around to be loved. -- Kurt Vonnegut

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley