Ray Bradbury Forums
Quote of the Day

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/8661025792

18 December 2007, 09:52 PM
Braling II
Quote of the Day
"If I want to recall peace, serenity, pleasure, I think of myself on those lazy summer afternoons, my chair tipped back against the wall, book on my lap, and the pages softly turning. There may have been, at certain times in my life, higher pitches of ecstasy, vast moments of relief and triumph; but for quiet, peacefull happiness, there has never been anything to compare with it."

Isaac Asimov, "I, Asimov - A Memoir"
19 December 2007, 07:37 AM
fjp451
Marvelous quote, Br II!

The Antithesis, of course: "It was a pleasure to burn!" - RB
19 December 2007, 07:56 AM
fjp451
Winston Churchill is an endless source of great quotes:

"Withhold no sacrifice, begrudge no toil, seek no sordid gain, fear no foe, all will be well. You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

(Finished F451 today. Above reflects the changed Montag.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,
21 December 2007, 09:38 AM
Doug Spaulding
"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."

- Eric Hoffer

"Live Forever!"
21 December 2007, 09:38 AM
Doug Spaulding
"Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?"

- Henry Ward Beecher

"Live Forever!"
21 December 2007, 10:23 PM
Doug Spaulding
"It's true - books can make you crazy - but in a good way."

- James Patterson

"Live Forever!"
01 January 2008, 11:50 AM
Braling II
The Age Old Question

Recently a friend and I went out to eat late one Sunday morning. I was torn between ordering from the restaurant's breakfast or lunch menus, and finally asked the server to bring me both a chicken sandwich and an order of scrambled eggs. When she left, I said to my friend, "I wonder if I've just committed a faux pas."

"I don't think so, but I AM wondering which one will come first."

Readers Digest, source unknown
02 January 2008, 12:32 PM
fjp451
"...I will be bold and frank. I do not love my father. I wonder sometimes if I do not hate him. There is my shame, perhaps my sin, at least, and in the sight of God, my fault.

How was I to love him? He has never spoken to me, smiled upon me, and, I do not think, he has ever touched me.

He was more afraid of death than of anything else. He died, as he thought he would, as the first snows of winter fell."
02 January 2008, 02:55 PM
Doug Spaulding
"We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know."

- W. H. Auden

"Live Forever!"
03 January 2008, 07:49 AM
fjp451
"I'm The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury!"
03 January 2008, 08:25 AM
Doug Spaulding
"What?"

- Doug Spaulding

"Live Forever!"
03 January 2008, 08:36 AM
Braling II
Doug, I suspect fjp451's recently viewed the Truffaut movie. Both his quotes are spoken by characters in the final scene -the scene with the wonderful music!
03 January 2008, 08:52 AM
fjp451
Sundance, your keen eyes are always on the trail!!
03 January 2008, 11:32 AM
Braling II
Yup.
03 January 2008, 07:18 PM
Doug Spaulding
Oh, I remember now. Been years since I've seen it but a nice scene indeed.

"Live Forever!"