Ray Bradbury Forums
Quote of the Day

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/8661025792

29 September 2007, 11:02 AM
patrask
Quote of the Day
1,682 years ago was, if I did my math correctly, the year 325 AD, when the Official Canon of the Catholic church was stamped as Gospel be the Roman Emperor Constantine in the city of Nicea. All other gospels were thereby rejected and thus began the idea of Heresy and punishment for beliefs that, though of the same reverence for The Christ, brought the pain of torture and death, in the name of the same saviour that was personified as a loving God. The Romans really knew how to implement crowd control.
29 September 2007, 11:08 AM
Phil Knox
patrask, the only influence that pushed Constantine to regard Christianity as an official religion, even tho it only comprised some 5% of the populace, was that his beloved mother accepted Christ, and was a Christian. As to his faith, it leaned strongly towards the pagan religion, and the reality of Christ had likely nothing to do with his personal life.

29 September 2007, 01:37 PM
rocket
"Be just, and if you can't be just, be arbitrary."

William S. Burroughs
Naked Lunch

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com
29 September 2007, 03:17 PM
jeebusjunkie
quote:
A closed mind, given a Truth to live by, can be a happy mind.

Good words for a communist to live by.

"You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. "

No one tells me what I can or can't say or think. Not Jesus, not C.S. Lewis. If Lewis doesn't like that, he can tell me so. Oh wait, I forgot, he's dead. I'm not. I win!
29 September 2007, 03:36 PM
Phil Knox
jeebusjunkie, Oh, but you are dead, jeebusjunkie, You are truly dead!

"But you who are dead. Do you lust, for lust comes from the dead, and you are by nature children of the dead. But Gods wants to make you alive."
(paraphrase, Ephesians 2, vs. 1-3)

And Christ said, "You say you are not dead? Then the truth is not in you. So I say unto you, you must be born-again!"
(paraphrase, somewheres in the New Testament)

29 September 2007, 03:51 PM
jeebusjunkie
"I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free."

--Nikos Kazantzakis, author of "Zorba the Greek"
29 September 2007, 04:35 PM
Braling II
Schoolboy's philosophy; no thought behind it, only emotion.

But, since this began as a "Quote Of The Day" thread, to all I re-offer:

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - St. Philo of Alexandria
30 September 2007, 08:01 AM
jeebusjunkie
"Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."

--Hosea 13:16
30 September 2007, 11:28 AM
Nard Kordell
Sometimes exasperating, certainly, eh Braling II?

Phil Knox: I believe Constantine's mother's name was Helen. Wonder what's been written about her.
01 October 2007, 07:55 AM
Braling II
(*sigh*)

Back to the Quote Of The Day.
Here's one:

"Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it."

- Ellen Goodman
01 October 2007, 06:01 PM
Nard Kordell
jeebusjunkie:

Your idea of what the book of Hosea is about seems to be misplaced. Your quote, by itself, doesn't seem to relate to anything being posted. And, in itself, wouldn't make any sense to the casual reader. I'm sure your intent was something specific.

Interesting you quoted from Hosea. God told Hosea to marry a prostitute. And to love the children she bears, tho not even his own. And to love his wife, even tho she is so terribly unfaithful.

Sometimes God demonstrates (using Hosea as an example) such things to the blind and wayward, so that they might catch a glimpse of what is really happening to themselves and God's love to them nevertheless.
02 October 2007, 10:55 AM
Doug Spaulding
"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife."

- Douglas Adams

"Live Forever!"
03 October 2007, 08:00 PM
dragonfly
"We're worried, you see", said another man from the crowd, "about this plan of universal destruction."

"Yes", added another, "and the balance of nature. It just seemed to us that if the whole of the rest of the universe is destroyed it will somehow upset the balance. We're quite keen on ecology, you see."

- Douglas Adams
Life, The Universe, and Everything
04 October 2007, 08:28 AM
Doug Spaulding
"I ain't gonna quit until I'm laid in my tomb,
and even then they better shut it tight."

- T Bone Burnett

"Live Forever!"
04 October 2007, 01:42 PM
Doug Spaulding
"We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action."

- Frank Tibolt

"Live Forever!"