Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit
 Login/Join

posted
For a breath of fresh air and wonderful acting, rent The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit...Ray Bradbury's favourite of the movies made from his work. Montagne, Olmos, and Sid Caesar make for great viewing.

Better yet, lobby Disney/Touchstone to release it, belatedly, to the movie theatres. It was, for some stupid reason, placed for video rentals only.

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green Shadow::

Movie release probably won't happen.
It was already shown ...only once... in the theaters, in Chicago, at the Fine Arts Theatre, owned by Sony Pictures, on Michigan Ave. (Theatre has now since closed). Ray attended that showing, coming in that evening from Chicago snowings, all full of life and vigor. He sat near the back of the theatre with Stuart Gordon, who brought the play to film.

Stuart originally was the brains behind the Organic Theatre Company, that produced 'Wonderful Ice Cream Suit' in Chicago back in the 1970's. One of the actors in the play was Dennis Franz, and the other, Meshach Taylor (of Designing Women fame)...and the other Joe Mantegna...all of them before they went out the California to hit the big time....
Somewhere's, I have a dinky recording of the play, done on a hand held tape recorder....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won a new videotape quite reasonably on eBay.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know the real reason it wasn't released?

Posts: 333 | Registered: 12 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Roy Disney ... is the one, I understand, that okayed the film in the first place. Probably the reasons begin with him.....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What stories are in it? Was it a compilation of many of his short stories? That sounds interesting...

Posts: 4 | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was based on one story only, of the same name. I was lucky, like Nard, to see it that night at the Fine Arts Theater. I later bought the video and have watched it many times. I also keep showing it to anyone who comes over, like my nephews and nieces. It's a real pick-me up!! And I remember Ray being very happy with it that night, in the question/answer session after the screening.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A VERY Happy Birthday to Mr. Bradbury, from the cast and crew of "The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit," opening here in ABQ on August 31st! Thank you for your extraordinary play!

Posts: 4 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like Michael's production is with
this theatre company.

...and here is the
poster.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: philnic,

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...and look at all this merchandise!

http://www.cafepress.com/teatronm/1647913

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could this be considered "Overkill?" Wow! Look at all the other possibilities with all of Ray's other works. The poor guy will be so busy trying to count the receipts.

Anyway, a light switch plate? Hmmmmmm!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found it today in a GOODWILL THRIFTSTORE for $2.00 and can't wait to watch it. YEE HAW!!!

"Let's all gather round the TV--Doo Dah, Doo Dah
Sit right down and slap your knee--Doo Dah, Doo Dah
We're gonna watch some Bradbury, spend some time as a family--Doot-Da-Doot, Da-Doot-Doot-Doot ummm... Doo-Da-Doo-Da-Dee."

================================================

"I don't know anything."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's pretty awesome grass! I love when something serendipitious like that happens, enjoy...

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is it vhs or dvd?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a VHS, of poor quality and also a promo or screener tape with the disclaimer or warning or whatever it is that scrolls along the bottom of the screen throughout the movie.

We watched it tonite. Spouse said, "Well, it wasn't terrible." which is a rave review coming from Spouse. I liked it. But remember... I also like Godzilla, and Pee Wee Herman, and any movie with Burt Young (Paulie), so my reccomendations are basically a good way of checking how high a film rates on the Cheese-O-Meter. I'd definately bring some crackers to this one. But one person's cheese is another person's steak. Either way, both go good with crackers.

================================================

"I don't know anything."

Posts: 1010 | Location: Sacratomato, Cauliflower | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post