Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Martian Chronicles - Help?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Martian Chronicles - Help?
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Bill, I ordered mine a few weeks ago and am looking forward! It's my favourite book of ever and should prove quite the collectible.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though sorely tempted by the content of the book, I resisted ordering from Hill House - and am very glad I did.

When Subterranean stepped in, I began to feel more convinced that this project would come to fruition and eventually placed an order.

What Andrew cannot possibly know is the cost to any publisher of the publication rights for Bradbury's hitherto unpublished screenplays. These are among the ingredients that will make this new edition of MC unique.

Bill, please know that some of us have faith in you - but given the preceding fiasco, many fingers are well and truly crossed!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second philnic, stuff happens. Many of us are happy the PS and SubPress has taken on this new edition. Both are high quality publishers who have yet to let us down with any edition they have produced.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What Andrew cannot possibly know is the cost to any publisher of the publication rights for Bradbury's hitherto unpublished screenplays.

It's interesting to me that you are somehow aware of what I can or cannot possibly know about anything, particularly the cost of publication rights. Hmm?

Posts: 79 | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Andrew, please tell us how much is being paid for the first publication rights to the Martian Chronicles screenplays.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill, please know that some of us have faith in you - but given the preceding fiasco, many fingers are well and truly crossed!

Understood, and thanks. Right now we're proofing the book, which is fully designed, excepting the two new intro we commissioned. We're also waiting on the new artwork by Edward Miller. With a little luck, we'll be sending the book to the printer in September.

Best,

Bill
www.subterraneanpress.com

Subterranean Press

Posts: 12 | Registered: 04 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not sure what to make out of Andrew or his posts at this point. He clearly appears to be a minority of one here.

Bill, it looks to be a great book. I apparently am covered on my pre-order thru Shocklines according to Matt so I hope he's right! I just saw your announcement regarding the 451 collection volume and that's terrific, although surprising since I believe the semi associated Gauntlet edition may still be in print. I never picked up a copy and I'm OK with that, especially now.

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One thing I might as well note, as being a purchaser of Sub Press books for about 8 years I've seen most of what they've put out. The standard limited editions, yes they can sell for $35-$50. But when Sub Press decides to upgrade on the quality of materials and put out a special book it costs more. If you look at their site right now and see Neil Gaiman's the Graveyard Book you'll get an idea what style and type of book you'll be getting with the Martian Chronicles. Sub Press is going to use very nice, and expensive material to create this book.

Also of note I have no idea how much Sub Press paid Bradbury to secure the rights to publish the book. But my guess would be over $20,000, and I have a feeling that's a low estimate.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wasn't the list price for the numbered Hill House MARTIANS going to be $350?

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep! it was going to be an expensive one when it was with Hill House too.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's an update on the Subterranean Press edition of THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES (as well as the Press' other upcoming Bradbury publications), which appears on the Subterranean website:

"Pete Crowther of the estimable PS Publishing and I have commissioned all new color artwork for our edition of Ray Bradbury’s seminal collection, The Martian Chronicles. Edward Miller has contributed five brand new paintings that we feel are more in keeping with Bradbury’s vision of Mars and its settlers than the illos for the propose Hill House edition that, excellent though they were, didn’t evoke the book as well for us. You can see a couple of the new illos at book page.

Now, the update: We expect the introductions by John Scalzi and Joe Hill to be arrive in our inboxes in the next two weeks. The book itself has already gone through one thorough proofing (Thanks, Gwenda!) and will get another. In the meantime, we’ll be printing ARCs, and have the book scheduled to head to the printer in September, which means the numbered edition should be out by December if all goes well.

Our other Bradbury projects are going well. We’re putting Where Everything Ends, the gathering of MR. B’s semi-autobiographical mystery novels, through one final proofing while we wait for the cover, and have to proof his chapbook, The Shop of the Mechanical Insects, once more, and then it’s off to the printer for that full-color chapbook."

Posts: 2452 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the Subterranean website recently the publisher noted that they hadn't decided on whether or not to do a dust jacket for the book, or just go with the designed binding as originally planned. Those who have pre-ordered the book were invited to chime in...

posted Hide Post
It's far too late to get any fair recompense from Hill House and Mr. and Mrs. Peter Schneider, but may the just and fair damage they've done to their own reputations last as long as the book itself lasts. I can't think of a more disgraceful way to treat Ray Bradbury than to rip off his fans and sully his name as they've done.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post