Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Complete Martian Chronicles - reprint?

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Complete Martian Chronicles - reprint?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm kinda bummed about the insane price of getting a bigger copy of this excellent book. I did just catch a small footnote on the page at Subterranean Press's page for the volume:

A Few Things to Note:
This SubPress/PS Publishing project will differ from the other publisher’s intended edition in a few ways:

* Added introductions
* Five new, full-color plates by Edward Miller commissioned especially for our edition
* A 7 by 10 inch trim size to make this not only a work of art, but a readable volume
* Printed in two colors throughout

So... does this mean there is another version of this complete book in the works? Is anybody familiar with it?

Thanks,
David

Posts: 2 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 25 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi David, and welcome to the board.

I don't believe there is another version in the works. What that footnote is alluding to is this: The Complete MC was originally intended to be published by a different publisher, but they went bust. Subterranean Press and PS Publishing then stepped in and collaborated on getting the book published. Along the way they added the extra bits referred to.

But who knows, maybe a different edition will appear at some point.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So there is as of now no planned other edition of this? Are copies still available?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, all copies are sold out. They've got some on ebay right now if I'm not mistaken. VERY pricey.

Posts: 2 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 25 November 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for keeping me updated.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping a complete and annotated edition will one day be assembled and published.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I too am hopeful that this edition with the added stories will be made available in a more reasonably priced edition someday.

Posts: 201 | Location: santa clara, ca, usa | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You never know...it's a marvelous edition. Perhaps Ray will OK a trade paperback reprint like has been done for SUMMER MORNING, SUMMER NIGHT.

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will keep watching this space with hope.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carcosa:
You never know...it's a marvelous edition. Perhaps Ray will OK a trade paperback reprint like has been done for SUMMER MORNING, SUMMER NIGHT.

I doubt it. It is, as you say, a marvellous volume - encyclopedic even, and would not lend itself to a paperback-style version. One never knows, though.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would go for a reasonably priced reprint, for sure. I passed on the pricey limited edition, because I regard myself as more of a reader than a collector.

It could be done along the lines of A Pleasure to Burn, which was a sort of stripped down version of Match to Flame. Buyers of both titles are happy, because the ones who splurged to buy MTF still have a unique collector's item with content you can't find elsewhere, and those who bought APTB get to read most of the contents without spending a fortune.

A win-win situation, and I'd like to see that happen here.

Posts: 699 | Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post