Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Bradbury on Writing
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Bradbury on Writing
 Login/Join

posted
New 2 minute video clip from June 24th, 2006, in Santa Barbara, of Ray Bradbury speaking to would-be writers. Using the link below, count down to the 8th video, the one titled, 'Bradbury speaks about WRITING'!

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=netcinema&search_...videos&search=Search

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In case others have trouble viewing this:
When I clicked on the link a message came up saying the video was unavailable. But, I searced on the upper right for "Bradbury" and several came up, including this one.
Great stuff.
Thanks again, Nard!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Braling II:

Thanks! I changed the link (above, and here) to take you to 'all' the videos.
Once there, count about 8 videos down the list of videos to the titled, "Ray Bradbury Speaks about WRITING".

I figured out how to synch the sound to the video. So I will have to change all the others that are somewhat out of synch. But the ..."Bradbury speaks about WRITING" video is fine!

link:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search=netcinema&search_...videos&search=Search

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, terrific, Nard! As always, the most sensible and basic advice posing the greatest challenge to live up to. Because now, I not only gotta try to not feel guilty about not writing enough, I gotta try to not feel miserable about not having more fun with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dandelion,

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Thanks as always Nard.

Now all we have to do is follow his example. Talk about a role model. Insofar as contemporary writers are concerned, the three biggies that we should be looking into are Joseph Campbell, Stan Lee and Ray Bradbury. If only more people knew. If only more people knew. Live what you wish for the world.

Free sci-fi mag online at:thelordshen.com

Posts: 178 | Location: Currently Flint, MI | Registered: 28 December 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all... for your comments!

For some reason, some videos (including those with corrected sound-synch)...are 'not' getting on the main YOUTUBE site.
But they are all there ...on the 'USER' video section. I have not sound-corrected all the videos, but check out Ray talking about writing the script for "Moby Dick" ! (first video icon, to the left)

click on:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=netcinema

posted Hide Post
Wonderful stuff, Nard! Thanks for posting your videos!

Posts: 2446 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How can anyone not feel wonderful just listening to Ray speak?

Thanks again, Nard; that "Ray Speaking to Writers" clip is priceless.

Why isn't this man on "60 Minutes?" For the whole hour?

Posts: 195 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't mistake this as disagreement, because I actually agree and don't pretend to know different, let alone better, than Ray, but I can't help thinking that no one should "get the hell out" of writing or ANYTHING just because it isn't fun ALL THE TIME. That smacks way too much of quitting. Certainly, perhaps people who don't have a talent at one thing and *can* do something else might try to express themselves in other ways, but people with a real talent sometimes have to work to develop that talent although it may not be fun all the time.

Actually, I agree with what Ray says. I never forget the story of a man who'd worked hard to learn to play the cello and went to a Yo Yo Ma concert for further inspiration. Unfortunately, he said his career was finished partway into the first piece because Yo Yo Ma was so TERRIFICALLY good he was having fantastic fun at it, where to this other fellow it was work. So, I guess he quit, at least the idea of playing professionally, but because one person is better at the cello than 99% of the rest of humanity, enough to have fun with what would be a struggle to most people, does that really mean that NO ONE else should EVER play the cello? If nothing else, knowing something about it gives them an appreciation of what he's really able to accomplish.

Ray also once said the only real failure is stoppage, and a continued effort is not failure. Educated guess here is that many a creative endeavor does start out fun, and even end up that way, but with varying degrees of struggle in between. Do any writers care to comment?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what is wrong, but I can not get ny sound out of the youtube videos. My speakers are working as I have heard audio from others things on them.

Is there some setting on my computer that I need to adjust in order to hear?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reinstall your media player, or check which one is the default...

Just in passing, we made the new Official Adventure Books Poster available. It's two feet wide and three feet long and must be seen to be believed... Cool

You can view a preview at Adventure Books of Seattle

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dandelion. For what it's worth, I agree with your comments.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dark: Hey! Where have you been? We need you here!

dandelion: The movie clip of Ray talking about his experience in scripting 'Moby Dick' says otherwise...that it was months of hard work before it became fun and the writing flowed. See:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b2X2Q5wINA

posted Hide Post
It's great that he stuck with it. I admit I would have found it extremely hard to take the abuse, but Ray came through.

posted Hide Post
Weller's book discusses how difficult this period was, also. Sometimes Ray oversimplifies his comments to make a point. Even if you love what you're doing, some parts of it are difficult, trying, hard, etc., but you keep going. There is a time to quit; but that time should not be based simply on a lack of fun for a short period.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post