Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Exposition: 451

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exposition: 451
 Login/Join

posted
Hey, i have a report to right on F451. i read this book earlier an loved it. i wrote my whole report (almost) but i need some help finding out wat the exposition is. could u email me at adalapait@gmail.com

Posts: 4 | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Summer school?

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything is fireproof in the future.
Fireman now burn books instead of putting out fires.
Some people resist this idea... Eeker

Whole book is right there.

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no not summer skool, im a highskool freshman. its for honor literature.

could u explain in simple terms wat EXPOSITION means?

posted Hide Post
Here, this place knows everything: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposition

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
still dont get what exactly they mean. do they mean a basic summary?

the question that i was aasked was

in 2 to 3 well written and nicely detailed sentences, chronicle the evolution, or development, of the main charecter for each of teh folowing elements of plot.

then they describe
exposition
rising action
climax
falling action
denouement (or resolution)

thats exactly what they say. now im having trouble with what exposition means/ stands for. can you give 2 or 3 sentences about what i could right. or explain what exposition means in your OWN words.

posted Hide Post
The exposition is simply the introduction of the story or novel. Usually the setting is described and the main characters are introduced in the exposition.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Argo,

Man, I’ve forgotten how Literature classes can take all the fun out of literature. Whatever happened to just plain ol’ enjoying a well-told tale?

I’m with lmskipper. The thing is, with any great writer like Bradbury, you won’t find a formal introduction that lays out the story’s argument. You’ll find in the first few paragraphs or pages who the main character is, maybe some of the minor characters, from what point-of-view the story will be told, some of the setting, and, most importantly, what conflict has been set in motion which will propel the plot. I won’t give too much away by pointing this out to you – you’ve got to do some of the heavy lifting yourself – but take a look at any Shakespeare play and count how many lines it takes before the “problem” of the story is presented. (The “problem” asks the question: Will the main character get what he/she wants? The plot simply answers the question.)

Best,

Pete

P.S.

Oh, and I know the way you write on this board is how all the cool kids do it when they’re IMing each other. My advice: adopt a more formal style for you paper.

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and I know the way you write on this board is how all the cool kids do it when they’re IMing each other. My advice: adopt a more formal style for you paper.

What do you mean by that. cool kids? how would you know if im cool. Formal style? The thing i wrote above was required from my school.

and sorry for writing like that. i wasnt thinking when i wrote like that.

Anyone here willing to review my paper. this is one of the major assignments of the year, since you usually have the whole summer to write it. i need someone to review, and give me advice. Ive already written the report, on Enders Game, and War of the Worlds, but this i am having a few problems with. Thanks.

Argo

posted Hide Post
Guess you didn't see the tongue I had planted firmly in my cheek. Next time, I'll use one of those emoticons: Wink

Good luck with your paper.

Best,

Pete

Posts: 614 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So the exposition is like the teaser description printed on the dust jacket--not necessarily a full summary, revealing the ending?

posted Hide Post
Dandelion,

Good example. Though it won’t be as straightforward, either. The reader should be able to look up from the story within a few pages, or the first few chapters, and be able to tell all, or most of, the 5 W’s and the one H of good storytelling. (Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How.) While I would argue a good writer invites a reader into his story, the exposition won’t be clearly labeled. Rather, the effect will be accomplished without the reader being aware that it’s been pulled off.

I’d say F-451 manages this pretty quickly. Our intrepid student should examine the opening scenes and see which of the questions mentioned above are answered and how.

Best,

Pete

posted Hide Post
I put up a description of the book at the website, on the Inspirations page... Smiler

Adventure Books- Creating Dreams in Science-Fiction

Posts: 349 | Location: Seattle, Washington State, USA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post