Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Big Fish
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Fish
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
To see the cars on the web, type "samochod" in front of the respective name of the car and wait for the polish sites with the cars to appear.

Ie: on yahoo, type: samochod Syrena.

Cheers, Translator

Ps - Samochod means car. It is a combination of two words, samo (individually, by oneself) and chod (chod, a derivitive of chodzic, or to walk). Hence, self-walking.

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Translator:

That car looks like a re-converted Cressida by Toyota of years ago. The front, something like the front of a potato bug with a red finish and headlights...

If Ray drove, I wonder what car he would have driven. His wife drove an XKE, and a Datsun (Nissan) Z.

( By the way, what was this topic anyway....?)

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Need to mention this ...
...because tonight I remembered something that Ray said years ago... which will explain a lot...concerning the movie, '''Big Fish'''.

Tim Burton, before he made it in the motion picture business, used to hang out with Ray once in a while. In fact... Ray speaks of it somewheres, and talked about the times...and how Burton came to be successful in his pursuits. So... this movie is indeed Bradburyesque. Tim knows Ray !!!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forrest J. Ackerman mentioned Tim Burton as a "Famous Monsters of Filmland" subscriber and includes Burton memorabilia in his collection.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted here. Life has been about as surreal as "Big Fish" for the past several months, but settling down a bit now.

My first car was a shiny new cobalt blue Fiat Spyder convertable. It was a fun first car, until it turned one year old. That's when everything that was covered under the first year's warranty began to brake. The darn thing leaked everytime it rained and spent more time in the repair shop than on the road. The engine eventually caught on fire and put both of us out of our misery.

I too loved "Big Fish" and the method used to weave the story. There were so many ways to tell the lead character's story, but using the son's POV added to the impact, especially since he was a "non-beleiver" up to the very end. I love the final scenes especially. The story was paced well and it was such a delight to watch it all come together. Very Bradburyesque!

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Celestial: Good to see you out here again.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome back!!!

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Celestial!
It has been a long time! Nice of you to stop by! Yes, the ending was just great. I watched the movie again (rented it) a couple weeks ago and was just bawling by the end (same effect as the first time when I saw it in the theater). Yup, it's right up there with "It's a wonderful life" as far as tear jerkers go.

Posts: 554 | Location: Azusa, CA | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simply stated, a great ending to an extremely enjoyable movie!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for making me feel like I was missed around here.

I missed you guys too!

Posts: 118 | Location: Gulfport. MS | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C: I too was pleased to see your heavenly name reappear! Hope all is well!!

posted Hide Post
Quite a similarity, consider: The ending of Big Fish (son passing it on) and the ending of F451 movie. The young boy becomes the book his elderly uncle previously was. The scene ~ the lean-to along the river "....and he died as he thought he would as the first snows of winter began to fall!" The final words spoken in the movie are from the nephew who has finally become the book, word for word.

posted Hide Post
I've no clue who you are, but I hello anyway.

Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, I just thought I throw this in....because it's Friday, 'Translator' doesn't know who 'Celestial' is, and who knows who is going to win the Indy 500.

'''What is the meaning of life?''' asked the student of the rabbi.
The rabbi replied, '''That's such a wonderful question, why would you want to exchange it for an answer?'''