Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The Rocket Man

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Rocket Man
 Login/Join

posted
For those living in the Chicago area (or planning a visit in the near future), a new play, THE ROCKET MAN, "inspired by the works of Ray Bradbury", opens Saturday, May 8, 2004, at The Viaduct Theater at 3111 N. Western. The play continues through June 26, 2004. Here is a link to the details. Just click on "Events" and then click on the rocketship icon:
http://www.thehousetheatre.com/The%20House.swf

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 05-07-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Richard (edited 05-07-2004).]

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard::::

I decided NOT to go to the play...
And, yes, I live in Chicago.

But maybe just as well... because...it is a little Bradbury, and a little of a lot of this and that and people and .... !!?

Well, here's some excerpts from the review in today's paper...

��� 'The Rocket Man' launches a grown-up exploration of boyhood����

by Hedy Weiss, Theater Critic

"....'The Rocket Man', written by Phillip C. Klapperich, credits Ray Bradbury's 1950 sci-fi classic "The Martian Chronicles" as a source,for this playful if overly long show. It is ingeniously directed by Nathan Allen and cleverly choreograped by Tommy Rapley, and owes just as much to Victor Appleton's 'Tom Swift and His Rocket Ship' , part of the naive boy's books series also from the 1950's. And there's some ""Star Trek"" and ""Mork and Mindy"" at work, too, plus elements of the interactive video games that now seize boys' minds...."

"....The tale is a classic coming-of-age story. Doug (Chris Matthews, a slim, gracefully athletic fellow full of emotional vulnerability), is a sensitive boy on the brink of manhood whose father, Capt. Spaulding (authoritative Matthew Hawkins), has apparently disappeared in space during the first manned mission to Mars. With unsteady feelings about himself amplified by the loss of his father and the complicated psyche of his widowed mother, Lily (shrewedly played by Stacy Stoltz), Doug falls prey to his ultimate fantasy, Ylla (Carolyn Defrin, a superb dancer with just the right mix of intensity and whimsy), an elusive gold-skinned Martian girl with whom he feels an instant connection. Has Doug gone insane, or is he merely in the throes of an overheated romantic-sexual dream?

((( should I go on....??? )))

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard, I read the reviews as well. And you're right, it sounds like it is only a little bit Bradbury and a whole bunch of other influences as well.

Posts: 369 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey--
Richard and Nard, though, you are right about the presence of other influences in The House Theatre's "The Rocket Man"-- I would still recommend that you check out the production. The show draws on The Martian Chronicles as well as short stories like "R" is for Rocket, "Rocket Summer", etc. It is a night of truly fun, magical theatre--the kind of theatre that most non-theatre going audiences rave about. And the author, Phillip Klapperich, is a former student of Sam Weller.

Again, show runs through June 26th at The Viaduct Theatre. For all the details visit www.thehousetheatre.com

Thanks for your interest!

Posts: 2 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Presumably this was an officially approved adaptation?

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dandelion:

I would take it that this is NOT an adaption...but

'''inspired by'''...

'''officially inspired by''', by the way...

Bye the bye, I think you don't need any permission in such cases, wouldn't you say?

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is it for profit, or non-profit? If profit is being made, it is an illegal performance, but even if reported I expect exactly zip to come of it. Ray is ripped off by bigger outfits all the time and gave up pursuing all but the highest-profile cases years ago.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is not-for-profit, and Bradbury is aware of the production. He approved that the company do it. And it is very much "inspired by"--certain character names and ideas from Bradbury stories are present, but the writing is original. --you should come check it out and see...

Posts: 2 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: 24 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post