Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Wills dad vs. Mr. Halloway

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wills dad vs. Mr. Halloway
 Login/Join

posted
Why do they call Charles Mr. Halloway sometimes and other times he is Wills dad. Is there significance to this? I know i'm just a dumb high schooler but I would really like some intelligent replies to this. This question regards Something Wicked This Way Comes

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it does depend on what he is doing or what he is speaking about. I think that most of the time he is being called Mr. Halloway he is being recognized by some other person or he is talking about the carnival. I think when he is being call Will's dad that he is actually talking to Will or Jim. I had never really noticed it until I read this post. It's a really good point to bring up.

Posts: 15 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must agree with Bernan. If Charles is speaking to someone younger, aka Will or Jim it is always Wills Dad, but someone older or his age it is either Charles or Mr. Halloway. But who knows, there might be a deeper reason to this.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 28 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ya i think its written like this to show a difference in who he's talking to or about. it's probably just something for the context.

Posts: 18 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My guess is that bradburry is trying to express something deeper than what is seen on the surface. There is something in his past that has caused his ideas to be expressed this way.

posted Hide Post
I think Charles has different names depending on how he feels at the time. When he is brave he is Will's dad, but when he is afraid he is Mr. Halloway.

"The current science fiction writers are a bunch of jerks. As for cyberpunk, it's crap -- you can't read it."--Ray Bradbury

Posts: 22 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that when he calls him Mr. Halloway it is at a time when he is trying to make a point that he is old. When he says charles he is not.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that it could also have something to do with the fact of how he feels. There's many times in the book that he is call Mr. Halloway and he is scared. Then there are times that he's just Charles or Will's dad and he's just in the library.