Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help
 Login/Join

posted
I have to write a paper on the censorship history of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451. I was wondering if any of you new of instances where it has been censored or expurgated. Please help, I cannot find anything!

Posts: 5 | Location: mt.vernon, ia, usa | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
agerth

Gee, I'd like to say I'll do your homework . But, gosh darn, you'll have to look thru all these threads yourself.... take some time, pour yourself a soda pop, and set the clock. It's all here somewhere, on this website right here....)

Now, someone else, may have a different, generous arttitude, and steer you right to the answers....But that's less fun....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2465 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for your help. I just want to say that I did research for a couple hours today, and I couldn't find anything about why/where it has been cesored since it's been published...I am not just slacking off and forcing someone else to my work. Once again, thank you for your help.

Posts: 5 | Location: mt.vernon, ia, usa | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
agerth:

Hmm!
In MY days, we walked 20 miles to school in freezing weather without a coat and without shoes, and we had to be up at 4am to milk the cows and chopped wood until midnight. All this by the time I was 7. Of course, on weekends, I roamed the world on pirate ships and sailed the seven seas and eventually lived in the Grand Canyon, eating the vegetation and bugs....where I learned everything about frost.
However, from all this I learned absolutely nothing about censorship.
Luckily, here's one right out of the kindness of 'napanet'....
http://www.napanet.net/~aripub/f451.htm

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for helping me, this is a good resource for those of us who are stuck. Thanks!!

posted Hide Post
Nard, what on earth did you have for breakfast today??!!??

[This message has been edited by lmskipper (edited 11-05-2003).]

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Nard was "affected" by his recent visit with Ray . . .

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lmskipper/ Mr. Dark:

Wha..?!!

Do I hear censors approaching the door....?

Don't get rattled. Loosen up!
Consider the CBS movie about Reagan and his family. Everyone is hollaring either...censorship...or bad and mindless editing judgment from CBS. Seems to be split right down party lines, as they say....

This is how volatile "censorship" is. In this case, it seems to hinge on 'What IS censorship?' once again....

posted Hide Post
Not to leave this out, here's Barbra Streisand's comments on CBS. (THAT WAS HER HUSBAND...portraying Reagan anyhow....)

click on, or type into finder:

http://www.barbra-streisand.com/statements.html

posted Hide Post
I have another request for you all. I am looking for the quote in the book where they are talking about how it started with the minorities ripping out a paragraph here and a page here until books were all gone. I swear that it was in the section where Beatty is over at Montag's house telling him about the reasons that books were banned, but I cannot find it. I don't know if I am just looking right at it and being stupid and not seeing it...if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
agerth:

It may between Faber and Montag. I'll look for it since you've got my curiosity.

Interesting to note about Bradbury's comment about sex and violence in his book, Fahrenheit 451:

This is Faber speaking to Montag about the loss of the arts and drama....

"...I remember the newspapers dying like huge moths. No one wanted them back. No one missed them. And then the Government, seeing how advantageous it was to have people reading only about passionate lips and the fist in the stomach, circled the situation with your fire-eaters......"

There is a scene, right before this one, where Montag began to rip the pages from the Bible in front of a horrified Faber.

Back to your request.

Will continue to look....

posted Hide Post
3/4 of the way through Chapter: Hearth and the Salamander!

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During which of the latest violent/sensuallity fests did we lose sight of what really sells, our newspapers/periodicals/movies... It seems to me the "Bible" has already been ripped to shreds in front of all our eyes. Pretty strong words I know, but it seems to me that money talks. I personally enjoyed a film recently called "Radio". I was not offended, but brought to tears. In sharp contrast to the usual fare. I wonder how many of us are actually closet " Faber's " out there?
Or how close we are to the FIRE!

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I did eat breakfast... And I am glad I can still read. But oddly enough the T.V. and Internet have total sway in my home. And I am the raving loony that argues with my kids to pick up a book, and make the pictures in your own mind. It is much more personal to hold a book. Than be spoon fed whatever is shot from the Tube. I say have a power outage now, and then so conversation might occur or a page can turn. Please pardon my Rant, it has been a hummer of a week. Uncle. P.S. When my kids don't know a word I've said, I say"go find a dictionary" you would be suprised what happens when they finally understand the meaning of some words!

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah, U.S.A. | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post