Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Knopf OCTOBER COUNTRY

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knopf OCTOBER COUNTRY
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have a Fine/Fine copy they would be willing to part with?

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carcosa, Knopf's 1970 reissue of THE OCTOBER COUNTRY, with the artwork of Francisco Goya on the dust jacket, is a surprisingly scarce book for a reprint. While I don't have a copy to sell you, I suggest periodically checking the Advanced Book Exchange (ABE), if you aren't already doing so. While no copy is currently available on ABE, one may well turn up at some point. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck!

https://www.abebooks.com

Posts: 2438 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those Board members and guests who may have never seen a copy of the Knopf edition of THE OCTOBER COUNTRY that Carcosa is looking for, below is a link to the book's dust jacket with the wonderful (and creepy) Goya art:

http://www.isfdb.org/wiki/imag...3/THCTBRCNTR1970.jpg

posted Hide Post
I had a copy of this, as well as other standard trades that I parted ways with when I bought the Gauntlet limiteds and others as counterparts. Big mistake as most of the limiteds (IMHO) are pretty poorly executed. I've since sold (nearly) all and have been re-acquiring the trades again with a lot more satisfaction.

The limiteds of original titles I felt are worth keeping (again IMHO) are the two LEC books, the Hill House CAT'S PAJAMAS and Subterraneans's I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC...I also kept the Subterranean MARTIAN CHRONICLES despite its flaws...but that's about it.

Posts: 107 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 30 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What flaws are they Carcosa? I’ve been thinking about getting this book despite the high secondary market price.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 04 April 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES is a beautiful book...only the binding seems out of place and a missed opportunity. It should have been burnt orange/red cloth for the spine along with red-colored-themed marble papers for the boards...Mars colors. It has a black open-weave cloth spine and blue marbled paper sides. Kind of odd. But that's just quibbling. If you can snap up a copy ABSOLUTELY do it! It has an expanded TOC with extra goodies and that gives it a leg up on the LEC in those departments. From a straight design aesthetic though, the LEC is the best.

posted Hide Post
Carcosa, I don't know if you still visit this Board or are even still looking for this book. However, a nice copy of the Knopf 1970 re-issue of THE OCTOBER COUNTRY you were looking for last year is currently listed on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25550...9:g:JWoAAOSwUrNiZbbc

posted Hide Post
Thank YOU!!! Purchased. I can't thank you enough for the heads up....

posted Hide Post
Carcosa, glad I could help!