Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    1939 Pics

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1939 Pics
 Login/Join

posted
Dandelion:

At least one of these pictures I've seen before, of Ray in a photo mock-up, but also check out the Ackerman picture. Both pictures taken at the World science fiction convention in New York, 1939.

click on, or type into finder for the Forry Ackerman photo: http://www.fanac.org/worldcon/NYcon/w39-030.jpeg

& For the Ray Bradbury and friends photo:
http://www.fanac.org/worldcon/NYcon/w39-050.jpeg

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 09-07-2003).]

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And which one is Bradbury on a second picture?

Posts: 105 | Location: orenburg, russian federation | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The guy in the striped shirt.

Posts: 547 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This offers a wide range of pics from a site that may have been noted here at another posting. Some may not have visited it for review. Thus: http://raybradburyonline.com/imagegallery.htm

[This message has been edited by fjpalumbo (edited 09-09-2003).]

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reviving this incredibly old thread to post this link to The Illustrated NYCON Review - a 1939 fanzine reporting on the first World SF Convention.

Unfortunately, despite being "illustrated", this PDF version is without the photographs, but it DOES include the list of everyone who attended that first convention. Ray Bradbury is listed, as is Isaac Asimov.

Here's the link: http://efanzines.com/1939Nycon...ted-Nycon-Review.pdf

(When I get my time machine (a Toynbee Convector perhaps), my first destination will be the Jurassic period to shoot a T. Rex, but then I shall be off to 1939 New York to watch that first generation of geeks, nerds and Martians assemble. I might even grab Bradbury and Asimov and introduce them, since they apparently didn't meet at that point, even though they were in the same room together.)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think of the effort to typewrite and compile all of that information within the W SF Con program info! Although I started with no computer in my first classroom years, one soon became a part of the norm (floppy discs and all). Looking back at the way things were, how did we do all of that tedious work (compiling & edits!!) and remain sane?!

That is really an historic pdf.

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With the aid of correction fluid, and lots of crossings-out!

What I like most about that document is the hand-drawn ads for various pulp magazines. I wonder if these were paid ads, or just for fun.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CTRL A
CTRL C
CTRL V

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
CTRL A
CTRL C
CTRL V

Have you ever tried that on a manual typewriter?

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
CTRL A
CTRL C
CTRL V

Have you ever tried that on a manual typewriter?

Only with a pair of scissors, a bottle of mucilage and tweezers.

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post