Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ask rAy brAdbUry A qUEstIOn !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ask rAy brAdbUry A qUEstIOn !
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Dear Mr. Bradbury, I am a major fan and admirer of yours.

I was just wondering how you discipline yourself to write everyday or furthermore have the discipline to finish something?

I heard a story about Victor Hugo once, how he stripped down and gave his clothes to his butler and instructed him not to return them until he had completed a full day's writing. I trust you don't have the same methods. haha

Posts: 2 | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury, you were about 25 years old when the first Atom bomb was dropped on a good sized city full of people. How much do you remember of that specific event and how it affected you at the time? And is your short story, Embroidery, the only story you ever wrote dealing with the dropping of the Atom bomb?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Flying Machine -too!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And "There Will Come Soft Rains".

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have another question that just came to me, don't know if you can add it to the list.

Ray, if you had the means to find out the true name and history of Mr. Electrico, would you jump willingly at the chance or would you pass for fear of ruining the mystique of him to you?

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
rocket: I can answer that one. Ray looked thru the years but could never find the answer. Many others have looked. I looked as recent as last year. In fact, if you do a search on THIS Bradbury website, there are several posts from others who did an investigation for the real Mr. Electrico's identity! We do know there were at least two carnivals in Waukegan at the time Bradbury met Mr. Electrico. The lesser of the two is the one Mr. Electrico traveled with on this occasion. He was a defrocked, Presbyterian minister according to Bradbury himself, who said that was the info Mr. Electrico gave youngster Ray. Some today describe vague descendency of sorts to a Mr. Electrico. And recently, there have been magicians named Mr. Electrico. In fact, a magician at the entertainment and shopping jewel that reaches out into Lake Michigan, Navy Pier, has a magic store in it where one of the magicians claims knowledge of Mr. Electrico, but, sad to say, refuses to devulge what he knows. Ah, it keeps the mystery going.

But, yes, if there was a chance to know more about Mr. Electrico, Ray would jump at the opportunity...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Teh Bradbury>
posted
ok i have a question to any ray bradbury fan

why should i even pick up one of his books none of them sound slightly appealing

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I remember Patrick Mullins had quite an obsession with Mr. Electrico and really had uncovered some interesting stuff. I haven't heard from him in a while. In a way I do want to know but in a way, its more mysterious and better too.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teh Bradbury:

Okay, I'll play along.

Why should I bother to answer your question?

also, What do you think of carmootin?
(in case you don't know, carmootin are words that do not appear in the dictionary).

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil, I think we've got another group of schoolkids with Bradbury-related English assignments temporarily turning the board into an adolescent chat room.
Be of good cheer, though. This happens once or twice a year, but it usually doesn't last too long. Besides, there is the outside chance that they may actually learn something!
The dogs bark, but the wagons roll on...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was Ray Bradbury's recollection that he went to the Dill Brothers Combined Shows in Waukegan on Labor Day weekend in 1932, specifically, on a Saturday. However, the Downie Brothers Circus was in Waukegan on September 3, 1932: a Saturday! Bradbury recalled that, the day after he saw the Saturday performance, he spoke with the sideshow performers on their day off. This recollection fits with information that the circus had that Sunday off and probably remained in town.

This is about as close as we have come to this mystery as yet. Information can be found here:

http://www.circushistory.org/Query/Query05a.htm

Happy hunting!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Knox:
Teh Bradbury: Okay, I'll play along.

(whisper): Don't play along, Mr K. My experience has been that if you ignore them, they go away sooner (end whisper).

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Don't play along, Mr K. My experience has been that if you ignore them, they go away sooner.

I hope this revelation doesn't mean that you're going to start ignoring me!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
WAIT I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION

if its not too late...

Mr. bradbury, Was "The april witch" Cecy based off of someone you knew?

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Teh Bradbury:
ok i have a question to any ray bradbury fan

why should i even pick up one of his books none of them sound slightly appealing

The same reason you would go onto a forum of an author (whos work you obviously don't care for) and ask such an absurd question.

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post