Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ask rAy brAdbUry A qUEstIOn !
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ask rAy brAdbUry A qUEstIOn !
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

Hi tinkerbell, and thanks for the compliments on my northern humour. I happen to be a southerner, and I felt sure I wrote with a southern accent!

[/QUOTE]
Apologies for the faux pas. Must have been all that talk of Wensleydale cheese and malt loaf. Not that I've anything against northerners - no, indeedy. My significant other hails from Edinburgh and was out last night with his claymore bagging a haggis for our Burns Supper. I just wish he wouldn't talk to it ...

Thanks for your reply. I've not listened to those dramas, though I can imagine Soft Rains - the relentless echolalia of pots and pans and speaking clocks. Who needs billion-dollar movies with special effects and credit rolls as long as the Mississippi when we've Radio 4 churning out such sterling stuff?

Look forward to Something Wicked EVENTUALLY, and shall definitely make a point of visiting your site. Right now, we fairies (the winged variety) have chores to do. Equality hasn't yet reached downtown Twickenham ...

(Sorry! Don't know how to remove those quote marks.)

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
...bagging a haggis for our Burns Supper. I just wish he wouldn't talk to it ...

Do you take that with neeps and tatties?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gwil:
...Arthur Machen, the Welsh writer of decadent fantasy and horror.

Machen is great - very dark. Recently read his The Great God Pan. Very Lovecraftian.

Interesting Bradbury tie-in: Machen had financial difficulties in later life, and they were ended by the literary appeal launched in 1943 for his eightieth birthday. The initial names on the appeal included T. S. Eliot, a writer whose work Bradbury disliked intensely.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ferry dust can be found here.

Neeps and tatties here. Disgusting...

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pavel, welcome back! Haven't seen you around these parts for a while.

Forgive me Smiler It's hard to read all the things in English.

Rather strange to me that Bradbury treat audio-production so kindly. But ok, let's wait for the other answers.

Posts: 173 | Location: Russia | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Tennessee it is!

Yay!

is it wrong to be this excited? Cause I'm really excited.

*is excited*

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pavel Gubarev:
Nard, I have 3 questions. If you cannot take all of them, take the second and third or only third Smiler

1. Mr. Bradbury, don't you think that audio-books or radio adaptations spoil the books. I. e. listening does not gives the same feelings as reading, and you should never listen if you're able to read.

2. Mr. Bradbury, do you think that your books cannot be 100% translated to any language. And reader should learn english to enjoy your books most deeply?

3. Do you appreciate your 'philosophic' stories (such as 'The man' or 'Drink Entire') more that pure fantasy stories ('The jar', 'Skeleton')? Do you consider that some stories are meaningful, some not?

Drink entire is one of my favourites of his!

If there is a God, I know he likes to rock.

Posts: 274 | Location: Marooned | Registered: 15 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Neeps and tatties...Disgusting

Oh, I don't know - I like turnips and taters.

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post

For the Current ( (February 1st)

Confused QUESTIONS TO ASK RAY BRADBURY

go to Page 3 of this Forum

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nard Kordell,

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you take that with neeps and tatties?[/QUOTE]
Aye laddie! The secret is to mix in some chopped scallions (spring onions to you) with the potato. This helps disguise the revolting taste of the wee beastie. A dram of single malt helps ...

Posts: 396 | Location: Never Never Land, UK | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinkerbell:
A dram of single malt helps...

A dram of single malt always helps - regardless of the problem. Smooooth!

Pray, tell me of your location, lass? Would it be Caledonia, then? Aye, Scotland is my favourite country. I want to migrate over so badly. Once there of course, I'll just let the haggis go by.

Over here in the New World, we have something just as disgusting - chitterlings!

The strange parts of animals that folks will eat!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
My question is, What do you miss, Mr. Bradbury, that you find irreplaceable, that has been lost from Western culture as you have grown up?

Posts: 439 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: 19 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the rabbit (coney?) trail, Tomorrow evening I will be attending a Celtic Society Whisky tasting and dinner in honour of Bobby Burns day (which was yesterday, the 25th); complete with haggis, harp playing, and poetry! Hoot Mon!

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a grand time in the old town t'morrer night. Be sure there is a designated driver on the buckboard, Sundance!!

A question to Mr. B, "How is the work on F451 coming, w/ Frank Durabont." It is a masterpiece of literature that deserves only the best in all capacities if a remake is ever to be done.

Too oft, Mr. B's magnificence on page has been compromised to screen. The RBTh actually was more entertaining than many of the attempts of his works made by the Holywood interests. We all await this crowning production (if ever it is delivered) with bated breaths...

Posts: 2805 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fjp451: Check out the video on the current "The Martian Chronicles/ Spielberg" topic in RESOURCES, for instance, located Page 1, half way down, for a Bradbury video answer on that one...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post