Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray's signature

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray's signature
 Login/Join

posted
I don't know if this is allowed as it involves sharing a pic from an ebay listing. So please remove if unacceptable.

My wife told me to pick my own anniversary present for our upcoming 20th. I have always wanted a signed book by Ray because he inspired me to start writing and publishing short stories, in my own modest way. Our funds are limited and so I had to take a chance on an ebay auction, picking from the cheaper items. I managed to get a signed copy of one of my Ray favourites (From the Dust Returned). However, I have no idea if it is genuine. Looking at signatures online there seems to be quite a bit of variation in Ray's signature. The one I bought is "flat signed". It looks a bit clean to be honest, and the "R" in Ray doesn't look quite like any other I've seen. It comes with a COA but said COA is simply a document signed by the original seller Collectible Books and More, declaring that it is genuine. The current seller is different. Surely a seller can't authenticate their own books? I'm hoping someone here can offer an opinion if allowed. I don't doubt the seller, I just would like to know what people think. Thank you!

Images-l1600.jpg (226 Kb, 12 downloads) Ray signature

Posts: 5 | Location: Greece | Registered: 28 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fred, Ray's signature changed over the years, especially after he had his stroke. I have a lot of items signed by Ray at various points in his life. For what my opinion is worth, given the time when FROM THE DUST RETURNED was published (2001), the signature looks authentic to me! You picked a fine Bradbury book for your gift...it's one of my favorites.

Congratulations on your anniversary! And boy, do you have a nice wife!

Posts: 2465 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much! That's encouraging. I know it ought not to matter so much, but I feel a connection to Ray through his works and this is the closest I can get to him, as I never met him when he was alive (different continent and all that). And thank you for the kind words about the wife. Occasionally I remember what she is worth.

Posts: 5 | Location: Greece | Registered: 28 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post