Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Testing on a new subject - Ray Harryhausen

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Testing on a new subject - Ray Harryhausen
 Login/Join

posted
I wanted to see how to open a new thread. I picked up the new collection of Ray Harryhausen films. "The Fantastic Films Of Ray HarryHausen: Legendary Monster Series". It includes:

• Jason and the Argonauts
  • The 7th Voyage of Sinbad
  • Sinbad adn the Eye of the Tiger
  • The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
  • The 3 Worlds of Sinbad.

When I was a kid in West Covina, California, the theater would have Saturday morning matinees. Our mom would give us a dollar, and we'd all ride our bikes to the theater where they would show double-headers for one dollar! These Sinbad movies were always part of the rotation -- along with the Hercules films. Very cool stuff. I'm anxious to watch them again.

I also got the DVD of "The Martian Chronicles". I don't remember being horribly impressed with them, but as a Bradbury fan, felt it was something to get. I imagine I'll enjoy them a bit more now that I'm going to watch them "as a fan".

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, it truncates long titles. I guess the rule will be short titles?

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where did you buy that set? My brother and I used to love watching every single one of those movies. His birthday is coming up, and I'd like to buy two sets--one for him and one for me. Thank you!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SAy, speaking of older films and such, does anyone remember the "serials" that used to play inbetween a double reeler? I remember "Rocket Man," Clyde Beaty, and there were several others.

I would love to have a set of those on a CD. Of course these "serials" played quite a few years ago, in the 1950s and maybe part of the 1960s.

Anyone else remember these?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased both items (Ray Harryhausen collection and Martian Chronicles) at Best Buy. If your store doesn't stock them, most Best Buys will order them. I would also imagine you can get them through Amazon.com.

posted Hide Post
Biplane,
I loved the serials. Also, short subjects - do you recall "Pete Smith Specialties"?

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To return to the subject of Ray Harryhausen, there is also currently available a 2-DVD collection called RAY HARRYHAUSEN: THE EARLY YEARS COLLECTION. It contains a wealth of material about his early career, including films that he shot in his parents' garage as a teenager, training films he did for the military during WWII, his early Mother Goose fairy tale films, test footage for unrealized projects, and a lot more. Highly recommended!

Posts: 2443 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Richard:

Although I posted this on the board when the book came out, the Ray Harryhausen auto-biography is really good. Tons of photos and lots of great text. The forward by Ray Bradbury is short, but affectionate.

RAY HARRYHAUSEN: AN ANIMATED LIFE. Ray Harryhausen and Tony Dalton. Billboard Books, NY. 2003.

Highly recommended.