Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    montag and mildred's relationship.
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

montag and mildred's relationship.
 Login/Join

posted
Did you feel that montag was in love with his wife mildred? What was it that lead you to believe they were or weren't in love with eachother?

Posts: 10 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think Montag's relationship with Mildred is good. I don't think he loves her. She is not his type. He thinks the tv is her family and thinks that she is cool. And he is more into his work. She stays at home

Posts: 3 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i don't think that they ever really loved eachother, i think that they were just convinced that they did because that's how they thought there life was supposed to be, but when Mildred left it showed that she had some kind of feelings for Montag

Posts: 2 | Location: Lemont, IL, US | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I felt that Montag and Mildred didn't have too much of an intimate relationship. I don't think they loved each other that much. It seemes like Mildred spent a lot of her time on the TV and Montag had a lot of work to keep up with. Towards the end i think if Mildred had more courage she wouldn't have turned him in and would have stood next to her husband. Montag wanted to question the society and Mildred was scared of what might happen and Montag was willing to take the risk to see what it is the society is hiding.

Posts: 4 | Location: Lemont, IL. United States | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think that they really loved eachother. I think that they just htought they should be together even though they were tow differnt people.

Posts: 1 | Location: lemont il us | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think that they were completely in love but to a point they at leasts cared about each other. There were times through out the book were you could tell that Mildred some what cared for Montag. When she didn't turn Montag in for having the book, then she turned things around and did tunr him in.

Posts: 8 | Location: lemont, Illinois, us | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not think that Mildred and Montag were in love. I think they cared about eachother, but not in love. It seemed as if Mildred was with Montag more for the job and what he did than the person he was. I think they tried to love eachother, but it was difficult because they had different interests and such. If one of them were to love the other though, I think it would be Montag loving Mildred. I think that because Montag tried to get Mildred into reading the books with him. Also, because when Montag was sick, it seemed like Mildred was TRYING to care at first, but then tried to make him go to work in the end and didn't care anymore. Another bad thing about Mildred's and Montag's relationship is that they didn't even remember when and where they met eachother for the first time. When Montag asked Mildred and she didn't know, I think it proved a lot about how they didn't care about eachother. The only thing that would throw me off about they loving eachother, is how Mildred didn't show Beatty the book under Montag's pillow. But then in the end she turned him in anways. I wonder why she didn't do it sooner.

Posts: 2 | Location: Lemont, Il, United States | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe, that maybe at first Montag and Mildred might of had a relationship, they did ger married. But as time passed, and Montag meet Clarisse, and started to think about his job more and more, also the TV being Mildred's life. Theyr relationship was not a relationship any more, it all faided. They barely even talked to each other and eventualy Mildred left Montag.

Posts: 6 | Location: Lemont | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montag and Mildred are two diffent people. They wern't ment for each other. she isnt his type anyway.

Posts: 1 | Location: lemont , ill ,usa | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that Montag and Mildred weren't in love. I think that at one point of time they were, but people change and everyone always makes Mildred out to be the bad person. I truly believe that Montag wasn't always there for her (seeing as he was either at work or wrapped up in things of his own). Although she never showed affection toward him I think that it has partly to do with the fact that he wasn't there for her all the time. Girls need devotion and it was clear that he was very wrapped up in his work. I think that she did love him but lost feelings and trust in there for him and that is why she left because by her depression she didn't want to feel obligated any more to making him happy.

Posts: 8 | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Montag and Mildred's relationship was very awkward. My feelings towards it changed constantly throughout the book. I first realized that something was off when Mildred tried to kill her self. Needless to say you could tell right away that she was very unhappy. But the weirdest part about it was that she pretended that she didn't know what Montag was talking about when he brought it up to her. They clearly didn't communicate and I think that may be why they had such issues. Mantag was really wrapped up in his work and that left Mildred alone alot. One thing that really bothered Montag was that Mildred was wrapped up in her T.V. world. Montag was really trying to make a difference in the world by showing everyone what's real. Books give you knowlage and that is the exact opposite effect of the T.V. I think that they had too many differences to make things work.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mildred and Montag's relationship was very distant. I don't believe they were in love, judging from the way they interacted. However, I do think that they cared for each other. Maybe they were once in love, maybe not. They were never intimate with each other. They even slept in different beds that were across the room from each other. Even the fact that Montag questioned what Clarisse said to him ("Are you happy?" and "You're not in love with anyone."), kind of proved that their 'love' wasn't real. If they were truly in love, Montag would have never even considered the question. You can tell that he even questioned their relationship. They talked to each other as if they were strangers. They couldn't even remember where and when they met! For most couples, that day sticks out clearly in their minds. Mildred didn't seem to care about her actual family. She was sort of obsessed with her parlor 'family.' The deciding factor really came at the end of the book when Mildred turned her husband in and drove off. She knew that her turning him in meant that there was a chance that he could be killed, but she didn't seem to care. If she truly loved him, she would have stuck by her husband's side, and definitely not have turned him in, even if she did want to leave him.

Posts: 4 | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yo whats up Mark, this is tom. I like your topic. Well I think that their realtionship is a bunch of (cant say it). They rarely talk to each other, and when they do, the conversation is like a forced conversation. She is so obsessed with that tv. If i lived like that, I would have to force myself to get away from it. I wish that Montag would rebel against his wife and try to stop her from watching it and change her life. If Montag would have tried to change her life, the whole book would have been differrent and maybe a little more exciting. I just hope that Mildred did change but she never did and that makes me mad.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that Mildred and Montag might have been in love a long time ago.But they have definetly lost whatever feelings they had for each other. Some clues from the story are, well probably the most obviose is that Mildred commited suicide. Another clue is when Clarisse asked "are you in love" Montags response was sketchy too me, he stutterd and had to think about it. If your truly in love that shouldnt take a second to answer, Yes, I Love My wife with all my heart. One more fact is that mildred actually thinks that the "Parlor" is her family, if your in love with someone, the only reason you would watch the parlor is for the news.
-DJ Schroer

Posts: 5 | Registered: 26 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first thing you have to think of is that Mildred and Montag were living in a different world than we are. Mildred was pretty close to being brainless and she was very materialistic. I think maybe at one point Montag and her were in love but throughout the book you really don't see much feeling between them.

Posts: 5 | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post