Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Somewhere A Band Is Playing

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Somewhere A Band Is Playing
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all, I remember reading about this book but I haven't seen anything since. I have searched it out on Amazon but its not listed, whereas I was able to pre order Farewell Summer? Does anyone know when its set to be released? Or any updates on either one? Thanks.

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ray told me about a week and a half ago that SOMEWHERE A BAND IS PLAYING is the name of the new novel he is currently working on (now that FAREWELL SUMMER is set for publication). The story was originally developed by Ray as a potential film project for Katherine Hepburn, but that project never went anywhere. Ray is now taking his prior work on the project, and writing a novel from it.

Posts: 2470 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you all. I can't wait!

She stood silently looking out into the great sallow distances of sea bottom, as if recalling something, her yellow eyes soft and moist...

rocketsummer@insightbb.com

Posts: 1397 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The title brings to mind the fate of good old Captain Black, from the Third Expedition (April 2000):

"Earth pounded down on the coffin lids.
The brass band, playing "Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean," marched and slammed back into town, and everyone took the day off."

(from The Martian Chronicles, by Ray Bradbury)

Captain Wilder, Fourth Expedition

Posts: 21 | Registered: 28 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wrote that little Wikipedia article on Farewell Summer Smiler

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neat. Wallon, how did that come about? Who do you actually work for, if I may ask?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wikipedia is an open source encyclopedia, meaning anyone can write or edit the articles. I've written or edited scores of articles for Wikipedia over the past few years, including the main article on Ray Bradbury (mostly editing and rewriting), and created several subsidiary articles on his books (e.g., The Halloween Tree, Death Is a Lonely Business, and A Graveyard for Lunatics). When I heard that a publication date had been set for Farewell Summer, I thought of making that information more available to the world at large by including the title in his list of works at Wikipedia, and then creating a new article to give more information. Jonathan R. Eller and William F. Touponce discuss Farewell Summer in some detail in their recent book, Ray Bradbury: The Life of Fiction (they read a draft of the novel), so that is where I got my information.

I'm a former journalist and researcher, so this kind of stuff comes naturally to me.

Posts: 103 | Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And in some obscure metaphoric way, Walloon, we caught you in the act. That is pretty neat, I'd say! But then again, what else would you expect within the exchanges of this site?!

There is a spirit that RB's writings exude, and we here all seem to share in it. How fortunate for us!

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It oozes, it flows, it forments, it drips. Ray lives forever amoungst us all.... I agree FJP451...

Posts: 49 | Location: Ogden, Utah. | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gauntlet Press has announced that it will be publishing SOMEWHERE A BAND IS PLAYING in 2007. If you are at all familiar with their previously released books, including their signed limited edition re-issues of DARK CARNIVAL, THE HALLOWEEN TREE, SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES and THE ILLUSTRATED MAN, as well as IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, you already know that Gauntlet is noted for the fine quality of their editions.

Posts: 2470 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the music to "Columbia, the Gem of the Ocean":

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/natlib/ihas/service/patriotic/100010423/100010423.mp3

Posts: 29 | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post