Ray Bradbury Forums
The Anthem Sprinters

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/8131085413

30 May 2007, 08:02 PM
spacemanspiff
The Anthem Sprinters
Hey again It's been awhile since I've posted here but I was wondering if any could tell me, What is the name of the Deanna Durbin film the sprinters are watching in this story?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: spacemanspiff,
31 May 2007, 12:37 AM
dandelion
Well, the only film Deanna Durbin made in 1937 was "One Hundred Men and a Girl," but, ummm...it isn't that.

https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/37910839...771063372#7771063372
31 May 2007, 04:33 PM
spacemanspiff
WELL SHOOT! Thank you dandelion for all the info. I geuss that ends that search. I was really wanting to see that movie.
AHA! I just thought of another question. It has been a few years but When Ray Bradbury theater aired The Anthem Sprinters They showed breafly a clip of Deanna Durbin singing up on the movie screen. I do not remember what she was singing but I wonder what movie THAT clip was from?
31 May 2007, 05:52 PM
dandelion
You got me there but philnic knows everything.
01 June 2007, 11:50 AM
philnic
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
You got me there but philnic knows everything.

Not everything...and not a thing about Miss Durbin!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
13 June 2007, 09:48 PM
theoctobercountry
What song was Deanna singing on Ray Bradbury Theater? I don't know that I have that episode at hand... If you know the song, it should be easy enough to look up her films, and see what songs she sang in them...
14 June 2007, 01:01 AM
philnic
Ah, theoctobercountry, you have identified a method by which to proceed with the research! It's ages since I saw that episode, and until now I had assumed I would have to watch every single Durbin film in order to spot which one they used. (Always assuming, of course, that they actually used a real Durbin film. It might have been cheap stock footage of something that could PASS for a Durbin film. Very low budgets on RBT, don't forget.)

When I get time(!) I will watch teh episode and try to figure out the song and hence the film. However, if anyone gets there ahead of me, please report back here with your findings!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter
14 June 2007, 07:20 AM
theoctobercountry
Groan.... Now, this is one of those questions that is going to haunt my mind until someone solves it! While the Deanna Durbin picture in the short story The Anthem Sprinters may only exist in an alternate universe, we should certainly be able to figure out what Durbin film the characters were watching, in the televised version of this story.

I did find my old VHS tape of this episode of Ray Bradbury Theater, and darn it all, I just don't recognise the tune. The sound in this scene is muffled (because the characters were sitting in an empty theatre, the soundtrack coming from the movie screen has some "ambiance" added, or whatever you would call it). Because of this, I can't make out a single clear word of the lyrics, but the tune comes across loud and distinctly---and I have no idea what it is. Argh. Can anyone else check and see if they know it? My only alternative is going to Amazon and listening to dozens and dozens of Durbin audio clips, to see if this particular recording would happen to be listed on that site, but I'd rather not, if anyone knows the name of the song!

I can say for a fact, that the song played over the end titles of this episode is an Irish folk song titled "Believe Me, If All Those Endearing Young Charms." However, far as I can tell, this is not the song Deanna is actually singing on screen...is it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: theoctobercountry,
14 June 2007, 07:51 AM
theoctobercountry
Hmmm, Miss Dandelion, this may be just the sort of research at which you excel, if you should happen to have a copy of "The Anthem Sprinters" at hand!

For the record, to anyone curious, Deanna Durbin was a HUGE musical star across the entire world in the 1930's and 1940's. Her operatic singing style made her particularly popular in South America and Europe---she was a hit in America too, though a more "pop" sound was in vogue here, as compared to Deanna's more classic sound. She was one of the very few stars who retired at the very top of her career, to live a quiet and happy life outside the spotlight. Far as I know, she is still living, somewhere outside Paris...
14 June 2007, 08:00 AM
fjp451
A very pretty young Lass, as well. I can easily understand the Sprinters' lack of sprint. Here with Leopold Stokowski:

http://www.library.upenn.edu/exhibits/rbm/stokowski/durbin.html
14 June 2007, 12:42 PM
Braling II
F.Y.I, several video clips available on line by searching YouTube, or Google or Yahoo... You may just see that clip somewhere, Octo.
Good luck!
(I can watch these at work, but at home I still have dial-up which is not video-friendly.)
15 June 2007, 01:17 AM
dandelion
Heh, I'll let ya know when I even get my DVDs set up accessibly--right now they're in a box somewhere.