Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    What a treat!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What a treat!
 Login/Join

posted
Not only did I recently find a copy of A Memory of Murder, but I just received my Gauntlet Press edition of Dark Carnival. (Contrary to some earlier posts, the signed & numbered editions of Dark Carnival are still very available)

Talk about two fantastic collections! I'm absolutely beside myself with these two books, as well as the prospect of receiving It Came From Outer Space in a few months!

Posts: 54 | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't remember any mention of Dark Carnival being unavailable. I'm sure it won't be available forever, though. I hesitated on Something Wicked and ... POOF! ... it was gone.

I am also looking forward to It Came From Outer Space, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed that Gauntlet charged my credit card before the book has yet to ship. I won't be in too much of a rush to preorder from them in the future, as I don't think that's really appropriate.

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also found a copy of A Memory of Murder about a month ago and really enjoyed it. I had read a few of the stories previously, but the majority were new to me, so it was a real treat. So far, Dark Carnival has been too rich for my blood, but I'll keep looking.

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe someone posted that the Gauntlet Press edition of Dark Carnival had "long sold out", however I may be mistaken. Either way I was very pleased when I found that it hadn't. I was also happy to find the book in my mailbox three days after I ordered it. They're a great company. The founder of the company, Barry Hoffman, answers all e-mail & stuff personally. I am thoroughly impressed with them.

As a side note - I was looking for Long After Midnight & the only place I found it was on eBay from a seller in the UK. Is this book out of print here in the states?

posted Hide Post
Has anyone a copy of ...
��The Ghosts of Forever�� ?
It was published by Rizzoli Press of New York. And illustrated by Aldo Sessa.

Is this an actual Bradbury book, or just something he had to do with it, like writing an intro or something?
Thanks for any info. The limited info I found on the net doesn't seem to make that clear to me....

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
next time you are looking for a book, instead of ebay, try http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/BookSearch
best resource I've found.

Posts: 10 | Location: freehold,nj,usa | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
unknown88

Thanks!
But couldn't find much there either. Then, �Wala!� I found some info on 'Bradbury Online'. Seems the book...is actually a collection of several authors, with a prologue and title of book by Ray. Originally published in Spanish....

(click on, or type into finder): http://www.spaceagecity.com/bradbury/ghostsof.htm

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 06-23-2003).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Nard-

I have the pleasure of owning a first edition copy of The Ghosts of Forever (signed by Ray - of course!).

It�s a giant "coffee-table" sized book, with 129 pages. Here is the catalog description that came with book when I bought it ($250!):

Bradbury, Ray. THE GHOSTS OF FOREVER. Illustrated with 19 color, six two-page and four three panel panoramas, with 14 half-tones and three two-page illustrations by Aldo Sessa. New York: Rizzoli International Publications, 1980. First edition. Cross-pollination between Bradbury's text and Sessa's art, illustrating the symbolic relationship between writer and artist, and hopefully addressing the condition of our species as we enter an era of space travel and great human achievement.

To answer your original question, the book basically is one of Bradbury's philosophical non-fiction musings, disguised as the Prologue, and dropped into a beautiful art book.

It also originally came with a lithograph, but my copy (alas) did not have it.

quote:
Originally posted by Nard Kordell:
Has anyone a copy of ...
� The Ghosts of Forever � ?
It was published by Rizzoli Press of New York. And illustrated by Aldo Sessa.

Is this an actual Bradbury book, or just something he had to do with it, like writing an intro or something?
Thanks for any info. The limited info I found on the net doesn't seem to make that clear to me....

[This message has been edited by Chrisman43 (edited 06-23-2003).]

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chrisman43:

GoodGrief!
I didn't know.
It's gotta have, then, a really clear picture of Ray's religious/philosophical/mystical ideas and thoughts about Everything....
This is amazing! I think I probably heard about years ago, but didn't realize what it actually was. Thanks!

posted Hide Post
Here's The Ghosts of Forever: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3530718768&category=273

Hopefully my link works, if not, just cut and paste.

posted Hide Post
Andrew:

Thanks, Andrew.
Really appreciate that!
Actually, there are SO many books and special printings and stuff out there I don't really know if it would be possible to categorize and list everything. The tiniest little collector books, to that fine coffee table printing of Ghosts of Forever can be found. Maybe someday, some young lad, just 8 years old now and discovering Bradbury tomorrow morning, will eventually do such a feat.

posted Hide Post
That's so true. I've been reading Bradbury for years now, but I've only recently started trying to "collect" his books & such. 6 months ago I seriously thought, "well, I'm just gonna go and find everything Ray's written & be done with it". Little did I know how much there is!

posted Hide Post
Donn Albright's list actually should be complete, it's just not available.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many Bravos for Albright !

He seemed a very likable fellow the time I met him. And his letters, written in an unmistakable 'Albright Scrawl', shall remain some of my favorite ...for their ability to challenge one's gift of deciphering.

If he is near completion of cataloguing Ray's efforts, then there should be some sort of appropriate medal pressed and waiting presentation to Donn, for a truly gargantuan job done well...

posted Hide Post
I also own a signed copy of "The Ghosts of Forever". It certainly does not fit in the bookcase very well, but it is an exceptional book to own. My wife and I just finished watching "Strange Tales", year two of The Ray Bradbury Theatre, episodes of: "The Town where No one Got Off", "The Sreaming Woman" and of course "The Banshee" or The Ban-Shee (ephasis on the latter sylible) as Peter O'Toole pronounced it. Exceptional. I watched all of the episodes when they were originally boardcast, but they seem even better now as I have aged. (sorry for the aside, just excitement!)

Posts: 847 | Location: Laguna Hills, CA USA | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post