Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ask RAY BRADBURY: Autumn\Fall '07 Q&A
Page 1 2 3 4 5 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ask RAY BRADBURY: Autumn\Fall '07 Q&A
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Dear "R.B." (as a character speaking to you in your poem called you):

Although horror is not my dearest genre, I would go back in time, or do anything else I could, to give H.P. Lovecraft a longer, healthier, happier life, seeing his stories not only in print, but read, loved, and making him a wonderful living. (And Stanley Weinbaum, for that matter. One didn't live to see 48, the other didn't live to see 40.)

As you would do for Hemingway and Poe, I'm feeling as you do about the authors whom you know you can't save, but your love compels you to try.

Would that I could change his life for the better.

Tastes in reading differ, I guess. Do you ever feel that longing on behalf of HPL?

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More, much more, for EAP than for HPL.

Posts: 901 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I imagine so. You probably could answer for R.B. on that account. And yet... and yet...

Yet both wrote wonderful elaborate horror, both died too young, with not enough health, and "closer to the bread-line" (quote HPL), too unfairly in poverty, done too soon, before their stories were read by... millions?

Ah, here I go again, grieving for people gone before I was born.

Posts: 152 | Location: Formerly SacraDemento, California | Registered: 23 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have any individuals in your family ever been portrayed in your writings? Not necessarily using their names, likely another name, but certainly capturing an incident or personality trait reflective of that particular family member?

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by libRArY:
Have any individuals in your family ever been portrayed in your writings?

The two main characters in The Burning Man were his Aunt Neva and her nephew Doug Spaulding (wonder who that represented).

The story is from Long After Midnight.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that mean I don't get my question asked to Ray Bradbury?

Posts: 384 | Location: Anaheim, CA. | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are probably more - that was just one I thought of.

Please, ask away friend Booklender!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are more - such as Ray's real-life uncle Inar, who became the fictional, flight-capable Uncle Einar.

But let's resist the temptation to answer on RB's behalf!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Must ask another question!

In your story, The Scythe, can you give us a little background of how you came to write this
incredible gem of a story.

Posts: 624 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Mr. Bradbury:
In 1999, I sent you a little fanzine called "The Salmon's Gazette", I'd be very glad to know that you still have it!!!. I still have your autograph, framed in ebony and gold!!!.

Best regards from México, where the "Día de Muertos" has recently happened!!!

Johnny

Johnny Holly

Posts: 9 | Location: Monterrey, NL, México | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the cases where the other posters answered for R.B., does that pre-empt him answering the questions himself?

posted Hide Post
No!
The same question will be asked Ray!

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another question for Mr B:

I understand that during your formative years, your family left Waukegan for Arizona, and then returned to Waukegan. Did Arizona strike you as "alien", and did it perhaps influence your later interest in setting stories on Mars?

[To the inhabitants of Arizona: no offence intended!]

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was great to meet you at your birthday party several months ago. Since we live close, how about having lunch or dinner together some time? If you prefer to eat in, we (my fiance and I) can bring your preferred meal. Let me know and we will set something up. I come from a music background and my fiance is an English Lit graduate. I'm sure we would have a fine time.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 27 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just reading 'Midnight in the Month of June,' which is the sequel to 'The Whole Town's Sleeping.' The man waiting inside the house in 'Midnight' is named Tom Dillon.. and a brief character from 'The Whole Town' is named Frank Dillon. My first thought was, "Frank is Tom's brother." My mind drew it's own conclusions as to their relationship in childhood, which I will not delve into here...just curious if Mr. Bradbury has ever talked about this connection?

Posts: 1 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 27 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post