Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Question: Story Related... Foreign Tongues...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question: Story Related... Foreign Tongues...
 Login/Join

posted
Well the usage is iun regardws to a post put on Nicestories.com it is in reference to inputs there and I decided to put it here to get a second or third opinion.

(hoping that real authors and even RB
himself would ever read this)

Being an amateur writer My question is HUMBLY simple:

Is it acceptable to use foreign languages, wven the semi-false one as Elvish, knowing it is acceptable... But my question actually is in reference if I would have to actually translate every piece of dialogue that was used in this language.

(If it were relavant to story or not.)

Would hate to hell to have some reader be overwhelmed to see that and put down my writing because he did not know what is being said. Or understand. What is the limits on the translation if I use this.

Or would it be a bit more useful that I only translate to what is relavant to the action and story itself.

The piece is VERY well done, and the language is real and using several tomes found on the internet in regards to the Elven Language. Conversationally it can be spoken if it were read and understood if used in the real world.

Based on three dialects it is also including a J.R. Tolkienism Elven language for the Elves in his books. Also use of another couple of independant tomes form another dialect and one using from Gail Baudino's books Strands of Starlight Series. (the languages dialects are mixed, and seem to be working on keeping it real.)

Just a heads up on that.

I am really confused on the limits of the translation. I want to use this, and do so freely to make the characters seem real but confused on the amount of translation.

Hopes someone can clarify

Nathaniel A. Miller

Amateur Writer/Sys Admin

Posts: 8 | Location: Mesquite, NV USA | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hoped I could help, but I can't. I have no clue what your question is asking.

Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's asking whether it's okay to write a story in English with dialogue in Elvish. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what language to use in their story. You never know what will work. Would be an interesting experiment anyway.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well,
Dandelion may have her own erroneus opinion about it, but the world body is in agreement that it is "unlawful and hateful to write more than 4 pages of 12 point font Times New Roman prose with both English and Elvish" (Par. 3 of the UN convention against the spread of the Elvish language). "...any person or persons who commit such an act shall be imprisoned in guantanamo bay and violated with a rolled copy of the Lord of the Rings..." (par 5, of the same resolution).

Sorry namiller,
unless you like the LOTR that much, I suggest you abide by this UN resolution.

Cheers, Translator

Posts: 626 | Location: Maple, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OH no no no no... you guys misquoted me... ACK!

Better rephrase... -- My question:
RE: Translator,Dandelion...

My question is using "certain" diaglogue in a different language. By certain dialogue i mean that not all of the story is going to be put into Elvish... (<-- oh hell no thats WAY too much... That would make my brain melt. ) i am only meaning to the main characters in the story who happen to be Elves (this being Fantasy)... If the dialogue is "not relavant" to the story flow would i still have to translate it.

IE. If there is something personal between the two main characters, and it has no bearing on the flow of the story, would I still translate it?

I have been using it, and it really makes the characters believable. And all relevant statements and dialogue in the story are translated if the elven characters are speaking in their native tongue relevant to the story itself.

That is what I meant.

There is no real EASY way to ask this...
Bear with me to get my head together and find a better way to ask that question.

It's like asking Ray Bradbury what the martians on Mars would be speaking or are saying if did know the language. This question is a real bonehead question I know.

But we all know the answer to that!

Martians don't speak, they thought cast. (thinking of the movie.)... See if I would not have read the book or seen the film, I would not know what a martian would say.

Although I thought some of my college professors were from Mars...

Nathaniel --

quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
I think it's asking whether it's okay to write a story in English with dialogue in Elvish. I wouldn't presume to tell anyone what language to use in their story. You never know what will work. Would be an interesting experiment anyway.

Posts: 8 | Location: Mesquite, NV USA | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, how about you include the Elvish Speak in the book proper, and append a translation.
I hope that helps...
Cheers, Translator

posted Hide Post
Does your viewpoint character speak Elvish, or are the elves talking in front of him in a language he doesn't understand, but the author does?

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dandelion:
Does your viewpoint character speak Elvish, or are the elves talking in front of him in a language he doesn't understand, but the author does?

well in alot of cases the main point characters speak elvish in front of others which they will not understand.

posted Hide Post
I'd say by all means in these cases, write the elves' speeches in Elvish. Then the readers who understand it will have a leg up, and those who don't will be as lost as the main character.