Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    All Summer in a Day

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All Summer in a Day
 Login/Join

posted
I know there was a film made of All Summer in a Day in 1982, but I remember seeing a much earlier television version of the story. It would have been in the 1960s or 1970s, ala Twilight Zone or Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Am I imagining this? I remember that it was in black and white.

Help?

Posts: 6 | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you're imagining it, or confusing it with another Bradbury short "Dial Double Zero", which was dramatised in the 1960s (in black & white) in RAY BRADBURY: STORY OF A WRITER.

There is some information on this here:
http://www.americanfilmfoundation.com/order/ray_bradbury.shtml

Bradbury's film and TV credits are shown in quite some detail on my website (follow the link below); it's not an exhaustive list, but it's the most detailed you will find!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil. The thing is, I've never seen the 1982 film version, and my memory of the dramatized story is from grade school or maybe junior high. That would make it sometime between 1965 and 1972. Perhaps it was a locally produced stage adaptation that was filmed. I clearly remember what the little girl looked like and what the bullies looked like. I remember watching the boys lock the girl in the closet, etc.

posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard the board, Beet!
I'm curious as to the source of your soubriquet. If you were inspired by the famous Spike Jones bit, you may have made a common mistake, due, I think, to Doodles Weaver's somewhat mush-mouthed delivery. The horse's name therein is "Feetlebaum".

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks BII! My mom's nickname for me when I was growing up was Beetlebomb, and you're right that it was from the Spike Jonze song. Until you told me, I didn't know the proper spelling (and pronunciation) is Feetlbaum. You're right, of course. Funny!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beetlebomb:
The thing is, I've never seen the 1982 film version...

Beetlebomb, not wishing to labour the point, but are you SURE you have never seem the 1982 film version? What I mean is, how do you know your memory of the girl and bullies isn't of the 1982 film? (Unless you HAVE seen the film!)

Or how about this: maybe you read the story (or had it read to you) and what you recall are the images you created in your own head at the time of reading/listening. I have some very vivid memories of what characters looked like in books I read as a child, even though I don't directly remember the reading of the book.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for hanging in there with me Phil. I'm certain I didn't see the 1982 film, because the story was something I thought a lot about as a child. I was 24 years old in 1982. However, I've been thinking a lot about this, and I think the second scenario you proposed may be most likely what happened. I may have read the story as a child and turned it into a movie in my memory.

I'm not quite ready to give up on the memory, though. During my obsessive internet search for the program I thought I saw, I found a posting by someone who noted a television talkshow host who referred to a black and white television production of the story. Makes me wanna go "hmmmm....."

posted Hide Post
It made me go "hmmmm...." as well: See my response to the other post!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Hmmmm is a good word.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read the story, see the film! Links on my website...

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Links on my website...

Good job.

Chiago?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chiago is a good word!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QWmahMdeGU&feature=related
Then click Part 2 and 3 in succession. Each plays about 9 mins.

Or here if there are any difficulties opening from YT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI8A1LOLdkA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQfWno_DuB0&feature=related

A very moving RB story and a captivating video, I had never seen before.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post