Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray Update

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray Update
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings to the RB Message Board. I don't stop in here nearly enough, as my life has been overwhelming as of late.

Indeed, I was at the Printers Row Book Fair this past weekend. I moderated a panel discussion of women mystery writers, including a few Anthony award nominees (named for Ray's freind, the great writer and editor, Anthony Boucher). It was a really lively discussion that came around a few times to Ray Bradbury and the entire injustice of being labelled a "genre writer." Nard, I would have loved to have seen you. Next time, I hope!

As mentioned in another post, I will for sure be at the Champaign Illinois public library at the end of the month. This should be cool and it MAY include a conference call to the maestro himself, Mr. Ray Bradbury. I will also be at the Lake Villa public library in July discussing Dandelion Wine. Lake Villa is very close to Waukegan -- aka Green Town. It is where Ray's aunt Edna, his Uncle Bion's first wife, lived for many years. True Bradbury Country. As the pub date for my book nears, I will be doing much more public speaking.

And now, the news.....

**Don't know whether it's been mentioned or not, but publishers proof copies of "The Cat's Pajamas" are out. The book features the following stories:

Chrysalis
The Island
Sometime Before Dawn
Hail to the Chief
We'll Just Act Natural
Ole, Orozco! Siqueros, Si!
The House
The John Wilkes Booth/Warner Brothers/MGM/NBC Funeral Train
A Careful Man Dies
Triangle
The Mafioso Cement-Mixing Machine
The Ghosts
Where's My Hat, What's My Hurry?
The Transformation
Sixty-Six
A Matter of Taste
I Get the Blues When It Rains
(A Remembrance)
All My enemies Are Dead
Epilogue: The R.B., G.K.C, and G.B.S. Forever Orient Express

That's the Table of Contents as it stands. It could change but I doubt it. The neat thing is that each story has the year it was written by it. Fascinating to look at the evolution of RB's prose style.

**Ray is very excited about the rehearsals for the play, "The Next In Line." It should be a great production.

**Ray is in discussion with some Hollywood producers over film rights to several of his projects. I can't divuldge details at this juncture, but it's very exciting.

**My book is into the publisher. I hope there's lots in it for everyone.

**I will be seeing Ray this weekend and will try to get him to post a message or two on the board if time permits.

Please pardon all spelling faux-pas as I have a baby in one hand and I'm typing fast!

Best to All!

Sam Weller

Posts: 104 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, Sam! That's the kind of information that keeps me coming back.

Posts: 85 | Location: San Dimas, CA USA | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sam::: Sorry to have missed Printer's Row with your presence there. Passed the place by probably 3 or 4 times on the way elsewhere, and was going to stop only if I found a parking spot. Have a couple friends with book tables there, including a fellow who has a book store on near-north Maple St., a Tom Joyce. Figured I see him next week anyway. But Alas! Found out only later you spoke there. Yes! Yes. Next time.

Hey Sam::!!
If you get Ray to post something, by all means do so on '''YOUR''' post UserName. The unfortunate situation several months ago with someone posing as Ray, posting gosh darn seemingly authentic posts, had a lot of us in an uproar. Eventually, of course, the fellow was nabbed and ejected pronto.

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, since I wound up with a double post... this important memo:

Sam:
Congratulations! That your book is at the Publisher.

[This message has been edited by Nard Kordell (edited 06-08-2004).]

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the exciting news, Sam. Hearing from you seems like the next best thing to hearing from the man himself. I will be amazed if you can get him to post anything, but if anyone can do it, I'm sure it's you. Hope all goes well with your new bundle of joy!!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slightly off-topic, but related in a way.
Anthony Boucher's short story 'They BIte' is a treasure, and everyone should read at least that story, to understand that he and RB became friends. They Bite is almost Bradbury'esque in its efficiency, sweep and tightness. And MAN does it have a great punch!
Just an FYI-
SM

Posts: 7 | Location: Mellon Town, IL USA | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post