Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    I'm looking for one of Ray's essays.

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm looking for one of Ray's essays.
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for:

A Booklover's Guide to Los Angeles, California Living, 1979

Anyone knows where I can dig it up?

Also, where can some of his essays be found? We need access to that. I know the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies has a hold on a lot of these essays and letters, but, is there a collection of them somewhere to be found?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 13 August 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Javier, I don't know where you would find a copy of "A Booklover's Guide to Los Angeles". However, a number of Ray's essays are collected in the books YESTERMORROW and BRADBURY SPEAKS. You can find copies of both books on the Advanced Book Exchange website (abebooks.com). However, the essay you are looking for is not in either book.

Posts: 2440 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only one copy seems to be listed online, also at AbeBooks, for $20.00: http://used.addall.com/SuperRa...e=Powells&store=ZVAB

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ahhgg, thank you. I own Bradbury Speaks, great book. There aren't many collections of the old man's essays. Shame, really.

posted Hide Post
I don't believe that one in AbeBooks is the one with Ray's essay (thanks anyway!)

posted Hide Post
Besides Yestermorrow (1991) and Bradbury Speaks (2005), Zen in the Art of Writing (1990) and A Chapbook for Burnt-Out Priests, Rabbis and Ministers (2001) seem to be the only other collections even containing essays.

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Javier, from your initial inquiry, it sounds like you are interested in finding an essay that Ray Bradbury wrote about bookstores. While it may well not the one you are looking for, Ray wrote a wonderful foreward for an extraordinary book catalog called THE UNDEAD (McLaughlin Press, 1984), copies of which can also be found on ABE. The foreward is called "A Journey of Books", and in it Ray describes what he would do if he were able to shoot a documentary film about an antiquarian book shop or old library. Ray's love of books shines throughout, and the article is well worth seeking out.

Posts: 2440 | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not 100% related but anyway - I just came across a place that has at least some of Ray's stuff:

https://www.wgfoundation.org

Funny thing, I went by there a few times B.I. (before the Internet) and I have certainly been to the observatory to look through the big telescope... at Mars! Highly recommended.

Also, IIRC dandelion mentioned this database in another thread: www.isfdb.org

The good news is that, generally speaking, amount of content on the internet continues to grow.

Posts: 30 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: 31 March 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post