Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Help ASAP!!!

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help ASAP!!!
 Login/Join

posted
I am a high school student and in Ap English. Our literary question of the week is : What is unusual about the way Ray Bradbury lives in Los Angles? We need the answer by tomorrow and I have been searching. I was hoping someone could help me. please.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
fothingale:

Here's one:
Ray never learned to drive a car. So in Los Angeles, he always had either someone drive him, had a hired driver, or he took a taxi cab.
Or walked.
Or bicycled.

Also:
He worked for Disney is Paris. So he often took a train to New York. And then, flew to Paris. You must remember, he never flew in an airplane to much later in life. He is a 'train-guy'. So taking the train to New York was part of his "heritage"...

Posts: 3954 | Location: South Orange County, CA USA | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nard's right. Go with the car. To live in LA without driving is pretty unusual.

A tidbit is that he's lived in the same house for 45 years. That's pretty unusual, but not in the same category.

Posts: 2769 | Location: McKinney, Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is very unusual. I wonder why he never wanted to drive? Probably all the crazy drivers but still. Living in a big city and having to rely on other means of transportation. Just a little strange. Its not a position i would ever put myself in.

Posts: 23 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At a young age he witnessed a horrendous accident, and actually saw someone die right before his very eyes. He was, and still is, a very sensitive person, one of the qualities I personally believe has made him the amazing author that he is. Witnessing this terrible accident was so traumatic, he has never wanted to drive. Thankfully, he has the wonderful Patrick to help him out with things such as this, not to mention with saving his life!

Posts: 774 | Location: Westmont, Illinois 60559 | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One two occasions when I stopped by to visit Ray he had just called for a taxi, so I was able to only visit with him briefly. I would have gladly taken him where he might have wished to have gone, but that's life.

And when I first got to meet him coming out of Grand Central Train Station I went to the first taxi in a long line of them and told the driver I wanted to visit Ray Bradbury. He said "get in I know exactly where he lives as I have taken him home many times." What are the odds on that?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: biplane1,

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post