Ray Bradbury Forums
Purpose for writing 451

This topic can be found at:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791083901/m/8021024372

06 April 2003, 05:14 PM
matt
Purpose for writing 451
Im doing research on Bradbury's purpose for 451. If anybody knows some websites or books with information, I would greatly appreciate it if you would help me out.
06 April 2003, 08:54 PM
Mr. Dark
Exegete the text. What can you figure out from the text?

In recent editions, Bradbury has an afterward. I'd check that out.

The balance from another site with similar question:

Cliff Notes offers Bradbury critiques.
I recently purchased (from Amazon.com) the following:

"Readings on Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451" The Greenhaven Press Literary Companion to American Literature. Katie de Koster, Editor. Greenhaven Press, San Diego. 2000.

"Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451: Modern Critical Interpretations. Ed. Harold Bloom. Chelsea House Publishers, Philadelphia. 2001, 2003.

You could enter any of the titles to the Bradbury books on Google and see what comes up. Or go to any college/university library and ask the librarian to show you how to access critical essays on-line. Most librarians are wonderful.

Or (gasp!) go to the library and see what they have in p-a-p-e-r.

Please keep in mind that the web is only ONE of a VARIETY of sources for research. I'm finding more and more often with my students, that if they can't pull up a url, they act like there is no existing research available.
06 April 2003, 09:31 PM
mon411
There are many different levels to Farenheit 451. I think it's mainly about censorship, and how the government is always censoring things that might change our opinions. It's kind of wierd. Look for stuff about censorship, that might help you.