Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    The most dissapointing resource of all...

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The most dissapointing resource of all...
 Login/Join

posted
I think it's time to take RayBradbury.com, the website, to task.

I remember waiting for this site to go live, checking back every day but only getting a small logo...and then POW! It was great. Professional graphics. Video clips. Columns by Ray himself. What potential the site had.

So where are we now? The site seems to be the last to know about his new books--there is no mention of Constance and Illustrated Life is still listed as "coming soon".

The "Appearances" page now refers people to the message board (!) for latest updates.

New pictures of Ray at events are scarce, and the latest picture makes it look like Ray has a 12 inch rope of snot coming out his nose.

Has there ever been a "newsletter" ?

Ray has such a rich body of work -- there should be so much more here to explore. He deserves better.

I would say the site fails to live up to its tag, "Celebrating a lifetime of wonder and imagination."

Is it just me?

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, I managed to misspell "disappointing" in the topic heading. Actually, the extra "s" stands for thiS Site Stinks. And the missing P represents...uh...my lack of Patience with this site.

So there.

Dandelion...any way to fix this???

Posts: 229 | Location: Van Nuys, CA USA | Registered: 23 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WritingReptile::::

Well, lets start with "Constance..."

It was first mentioned on this site on August 29, 2002, by Bradbury's..."In His Words"... click on that ...

What photo has Ray looking like you mentioned...? There are dozens of photos of Ray, and several just last 3 months at his stage opening of Fahrenheit 451.....See Falcon Theater posting!

Have to run to work.... will 'edit' with more later this afternoon on this same posting...

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was expecting Constance to be featured on the "Books" page--what was I thinking!

As for the photos, I count one old author photo, two photos under "appearances" (including the less-than-flattering one I mentioned) and about 14 similar stills from the video interviews taken, what, two years ago?

Regarding the Falcon Theater "posting"...I'm making a distinction here that I should clarify. I love this message board, it is a terrific resource, and I'm grateful for the thoughtful and frequent contribution of the regular visitors here.

It is the web site itself that is not living up to its promise. Thus the message board has had to fill in some of the gaps -- like announcements of signings, posting pictures and links etc.

posted Hide Post
This excerpt from "Ageism" 12/13/02:
"Ditto! I thought a year ago when I first started visiting this site (I am no "chatter"), that the "behind the scenes folks" of this RB page would be driving info, developments, dates, feedback - but not so! It has taken on the form of the fans! With Dandelion's balancing act on-line with us and connecting with the "officials" when the ax has been occasionally needed, things have gone quite well, I'd say. I have gained one hundred times more than I have been able to offer!"

Now, it would be nice if the site sponsors could deliver some occasional new "inside" information to us rather than having to serve it all up ourselves. The main site page indicates that this would be the case. If not for Dandy, Nard, Mr. Dark, Uncle, and so many more well-informed RB fans over the past several months, I probably would have been long gone. I do enjoy the exchanges and researching, but a treat once in a while would be very pleasing to the regular followers!

fpalumbo

Posts: 732 | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Writing Reptile:::
Yes, yes...the Publisher should be doing more, I agree....
I am going to post some of my own pictures I took of Ray when I get my Web Site up and going probably first week of February.
Check out the"" Resource"" listing I put back near the top... A Plethora of Bradbury Pictures....

Posts: 2280 | Location: Laguna Woods, California | Registered: 28 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Writing Reptile, except for the spelling error everything you say is right, and there doesn't seem to be a way to edit headers, just text.

Posts: 2694 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post