Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Ray review on NPR

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ray review on NPR
 Login/Join

posted
http://www.npr.org/2015/01/02/...vision-of-the-future

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil. Right on!
I flashed back to my days in front of classes filled with teens. HOPE! was indeed so often at the center of Mr. Bradbury's writings: F451, Martian Chronicles, Dandelion Wine, Something Wicked, and his volumes of ss titles. I kept this as a theme of so many of the units presented.

His words warned, encouraged, challenged, entertained, mystified, and eternally brightened our thinking and thus our lives!

Nice to hear such a well-phrased review of RB's influences still being shared with the public as 2015 gets up-to-speed.

"Live Forever..." RB

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The article does tend to overlook the "pessimism" of many of RB's short stories,particularly the ones which are cautionary tales. The writer seems to think of "A Sound of Thunder" as just a crazy imaginative story - but it is really one big "watch out!" warning from Ray. Same with "The Veldt" and "Zero Hour" and...

Let us not forget that Ray didn't attempt to predict the future, he attempted to prevent it!

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely there are two sides to that RB coin, and both very distinct in their purpose. "The Rocket Man", "The City", "The Fox and the Forest", "The Happiness Machine", "The Toynbee Convector", "The Exiles" (to name just a few) each place the protagonist in the very center of technology's highly advanced sources of knowledge. Ultimately, the reader discovers the truth the characters must face in the total loss or overwhelming circumstances that arise at story's end.

I think the NPR author is appreciating what I also so enjoyed in Mr. Bradbury's style of writing. Quite apparent in the works I have mentioned above is that source of encouragement (hope) which arises from within the relationships the main characters share (Montag and Clarisse, the Book People, the Spaulding Family, Jim Nightshade, William Halloway and Mr. Halloway. Also, such shorts as "The Rocket", "The Happiness Machine".)

RB so often left a glimmer or spark in the denouement (wow!) of countless tales that unfold as total losses: "Kaleidoscope" - the small boys is told to make a wish. "The Million-Year Picnic" - the family sees Martians in their water reflected images. And how about one of our best friends in "The Murderer". Albert Brock:
"Don't worry about me. I am going to sit around for a long time stuffing that nice soft bolt of quiet material into both ears. Cheers!"

No one did it better that Mr. B.

Posts: 2803 | Location: Basement of a NNY Library | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...oops. I'll leave the obvious!!

"No one did it better that Mr. B."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fjp451,

posted Hide Post
Well said*, fjp.

*So good, you said it twice!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
How I wish I had you guys as teachers oh so long ago! On two separate occasions, recently, I encountered English teachers that had never even heard of Ray Bradbury.

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Linnl:
I encountered English teachers that had never even heard of Ray Bradbury.

Wow! I would question that situation!

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately it is true. One of my jobs is working with individual customers and when time allows I ask, or often they will tell me what they do. On both occasions I was most enthused to learn and query if they had taught any Bradbury. I was saddened somewhat, but not totally shocked. One of them did tell me they would have to "check him out."

Posts: 861 | Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: 06 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A story the other day claiming teenagers on Twitter did not know who Paul McCartney is, was believed but is now called a joke. http://www.billboard.com/artic...aul-mccartney-joking

Posts: 7299 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post