Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Is it possible to kill a t-rex with a shotgun? i.e. A Sound of Thunder
Page 1 2 

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible to kill a t-rex with a shotgun? i.e. A Sound of Thunder
 Login/Join

posted
I know its a fictional story but I,m still wondering if it's possible... Give me some opinion.

Posts: 29 | Registered: 20 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it would depend where you shoot it at. I think the head might kill it... or possibly down it's throat if you had to. Wink hahaha.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 20 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter very much. If you recall, the T-Rex is due to die anyway (from a falling tree or similar). Therefore the shotgun is just to make the hunters feel like they are doing the killing.

Of course, when things go wrong - that damned Eckels! - I suppose it would be comforting to know that the shotgun would get you out of a hole...

(I think this is a job for Mythbusters!)

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you could, with the right gun. I mean, you have to remember that the story is set in the future, meaning that they have more advanced technology. (Obviously, if they have a working time machine!) So, it's possible that they created more powerful guns that are able to kill T-rexes.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
actually it would be impossible,u see a shotgun is powerful only because of the mass of tiny balls flying at you at high speeds,not because of its penetrating power,and iether way its very difficult to aim with a shotgun,now if u had one of those new fully auto 12 gauges,that would improve your chance but i highly doubt its killing power considering the game,ontop of that,the story specifically states that they are using riffles,not shotguns,and in modern day a 50 cal could stop a t rex and maybe an elephant gun,not sure about that one,but anything after that would have to be a powerful explosive of some type.

love, Erick Robledo

Posts: 11 | Location: victorville | Registered: 19 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
Of course, when things go wrong...

Like the making of that film?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by faust23EDR:
...the story specifically states that they are using riffles...

Or, better still, rifles.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
Like the making of that film?

No, I don't like the making of that film, thankyou for asking!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by philnic:
quote:
Originally posted by faust23EDR:
...the story specifically states that they are using riffles...

Or, better still, rifles.

ROTF... you know the rest.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find a Glock 9mm usually does the trick.

Posts: 64 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by robertp:
i hate to be rude,but turn off turok and step back into reality

Posts: 11 | Location: victorville | Registered: 19 September 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Use any weapon you choose, just don't step off the path!

- Phil

posted Hide Post
Erick! Are you suggesting that Turok isn't a REAL person?

Posts: 64 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone besides me know whence cometh the gauging of shotguns?
I found it quite interesting.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Erick! Are you suggesting that Turok isn't a REAL person?
john frusciante? anyway,im suggesting that supremely unrealistic propositions shouldnt be hinted at in the first place ie. glock 9mm killing a t rex