Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    farenheight 451 movie? and other ?'s

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

farenheight 451 movie? and other ?'s
 Login/Join

posted
hello,

i posted this up at the end of the patriot act discussion..lol. figured id re-post and see if anyone can give me some info. btw, im gonna take the smart route from now on and leave politics out of discussion. after it is one of the three big no-no's of discussion.

anyway,

so,

i read i think on this board or elsewhere that there was going to be a newly made version of the book farenheight451. i heard frank darabount was going to direct it. i think he was the guy that did shawshank redemption and green mile, right?

so is this still an option.
i love the book and would like to see it in motion picture form.

is the old version worth watching?
ive heard mixed reviews of it, and would like to hear an opinion of it from a fan, instead of a critic.

thanks,
Smiler

Posts: 22 | Location: Winter Springs,Florida | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gary,

there are several old threads discussing the Darabont version. Here's one from just over a year ago, complete with photographic evidence:
https://raybradburyboard.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3791...611029901#4611029901

Is the old film of F451 worth watching? Well, yes and no. If you have an aversion to European films, then I don't think you would like it. It was made in England by a French director with a Austrian star. It has something of the swinging sixties about it, and rather quirky set design, and some ridiculous casting (Julie Christie playing two parts). It is fairly true to the book, and has some very good set pieces, such as the scene where the old woman sets fire to herself, and the ending is attractive. Bradbury says he loves the ending.

I see it as an interesting film, but not a great one. Oh, and I speak as a fan of Bradbury and a fan of Truffaut (director).

The DVD has some nice extras on it, although Julie Christie's commentary suggests she doesn't really remember much about making it.

- Phil

Deputy Moderator | Visit my Bradbury website: www.bradburymedia.co.uk | Visit the Center for RB Studies: www.tinyurl.com/RBCenter

Posts: 5029 | Location: UK | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time this comes up, I must reiterate that, whatever faults the Truffaut film has (and I agree with you, Phil), Bernard Herrmann's music is some of the best ever.

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay, my 2¢.

I thought the Truffaut film was excellent but not the be-all, end-all definitive cinema statement of this story. (The way some films are and should be left!) F451, or parts of it, could be remade or reinterpreted in a variety of ways which could also be excellent.

Posts: 7305 | Location: Dayton, Washington, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Besides Bernard Herrman's music the scene where the lady insists on being burned with her books is awesome.

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, never got to see "Sound of Thunder" - came and went before I could catch it.
But, I just watched "Fahrenheit 451" again.
Really enjoyed it. The scene mentioned above is very intense, as is the dream sequence, but my favourite is the last scene in the snow. The photography combined with the music and all the Book People walking whilst reciting their books makes me misty...

Posts: 3167 | Location: Box in Braling I's cellar | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're right. That final scene is beautiful. And I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the snow was an accident. They didn't plan it that way it just happened to snow. It sure worked out great.

"We burn them to ashes and then burn the ashes That's our official motto."

Posts: 54 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I, too, missed seeing the South of Thunder. It all seemed so anticilimatic. The big build-up, waiting, waiting for it to come out, then the horrible reviews, mostly in the papers. I never heard anything about it on television and it was not in many theatres around Ft. Lauderdale. Guess we will have to catch it on DVD.

When I was talking with Ray the other day, I was afraid to ask him about the movie. Maybe another time.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Sunrise, FL, USA | Registered: 28 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve made some comments elsewhere on this site about “A Sound of Thunder” so most know how I feel; supportive but disappointed. I hope that potential readers don’t judge Ray based on this film. That would be a mistake. His stories are some of the best that you will ever read. And I feel bad for all of you who have missed the film and therefore can’t make a judgment, and for those who saw it and were disappointed. You all deserved better!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chapter 31,

Posts: 861 | Location: Manchester CT | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post