Ray Bradbury Hompage    Ray Bradbury Forums    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Imported Forums  Hop To Forums  Resources    Appearances and Book Signings
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 42

Moderators: dandelion, philnic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appearances and Book Signings
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Man, so I went to Comic-con, after not being able to go to the Barnes and Noble event the previous weekend because of some business for my mom, thinking my chance of meeting Ray was back into the uncertain future again.

I was walking in the exhibit hall on Saturday, near the Star Wars booth, and suddenly from behind me I heard a man say "Does anyone else want a picture with Ray Bradbury?" I whipped around so fast, and searched the hallway kind of low because I knew he'd be in a wheel chair if he was really there, and so he was! So I rushed over and gave the man my camera, he was very kindly taking pictures of fans next to Ray. I crouched down and posed with Ray, meanwhile thanking him and telling him he was my favorite writer ( he said "oh - swell!" ) and I now have the long desired photo of myself and Ray Bradbury! That was possibly the single biggest stroke of luck I ever had in my life.

My knees were knocking together and I was a little teary for a while after that. Being near Ray is like being near eternity, I mean, what wouldn't you have given to meet Dostoyevsky, or Dickens, or another great writer who has shaped the future of humankind with their words!

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fanboy:
Being near Ray is like being near eternity, I mean, what wouldn't you have given to meet Dostoyevsky, or Dickens, or another great writer who has shaped the future of humankind with their words!

Good words, yes!

So where's the photo?

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fanboy:

That booming voice that probably drew your attention was mine. The man taking the picture was Sam, Ray's chauffer. The guy standing to one side of Ray, in the blue Hawaiian shirt was Doug Spaulding. The fat man on the other side was I. I think we need team jackets for identification. Maybe funny hats or armbands?

John King Tarpinian
You know what you are, Mr. Bradbury? ... You are a poet! -- Aldous Huxley

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good News!!! Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451 play has been extended until August 10th.

https://www.plays411.net/newsite/show/play_info.asp

If I must say this play is a must see. I've only seen it about a dozen times, so far.

John King Tarpinian

Posts: 2745 | Location: Glendale, California | Registered: 11 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
The guy standing to one side of Ray, in the blue Hawaiian shirt was Doug Spaulding.

Worn in honour of Uncle Forry.

quote:
Maybe funny hats or armbands?

I could wear my rabbi hat.

"Live Forever!"

Posts: 6909 | Location: 11 South Saint James Street, Green Town, Illinois | Registered: 02 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jkt:
If I must say this play is a must see. I've only seen it about a dozen times, so far.

You professional - I've only seen it two or three times (but I will be there on August 9th!)

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Thank you,jkt, for booming out those words, otherwise I never would have known Ray was right behind me, and I would have missed the opportunity that I have been waiting for for years.I have my picture printed out and I have it on my computer desktop at work, too, and I still can't believe it's me smiling right next to Ray!

Also, Ray's chauffer took a darn nice photo with my camera, it's very clear and nicely framed. Am I a happy nerd? Yes, I am!

Posts: 386 | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a quick note to let you-all know that the Fahrenheit 451 theatrical production closes this weekend. Mr. B is scheduled to attend tomorrow, Saturday night, one last time. There will be a little party after the event with Mr. B and the cast. Anybody in attendance will be invited to join in.

https://www.plays411.net/newsite/show/play_info.asp is where one may buy tickets.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Hello:

I recently went to a book signing and did not get my book signed are there any other book signings which will be taking place in the Orange/Los Angeles county areas in the near future?

Posts: 27 | Registered: 11 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Victim of a long queue, eh? Sorry to hear that. But on a brighter note, the answer to your question is yes! Just try to keep Ray at home!

See attached. He'll be glad to sign your book then.

"Live Forever!"

ImageRays_88th.jpg (244 Kb, 13 downloads)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scotty:
Hello:

I recently went to a book signing and did not get my book signed are there any other book signings which will be taking place in the Orange/Los Angeles county areas in the near future?

The birthday party book-signing will be so crowded that the bookshop will probably not allow outside items to be signed. This is usually the case with most retail establishments but the birthday party had a head-count in excess of 400 people last year. The goal is to get every person to be able to wish Mr. B happy birthday so there will be no time for outside items.

The BEST place to meet Ray and get things signed is by attending his theatre company performances. The next one begins October 14th. I'll post more information about that when the time draws nearer.

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Spaulding:
He'll be glad to sign your book then.

Strike my last - jkt knows better than I!

"Live Forever!"

posted Hide Post
Thank you! I will continue to check back to see future updates about appearances! I think Ray is doing a marvelous job supporting the Long Beach Public Library! Keep up the good work!!
God bless, Karen

posted Hide Post
Mr. Bradbury will be speaking at the Long Beach Library, in support of keeping it it open.

This is NOT a signing event.

http://www.presstelegram.com/news/ci_10364069

John King Tarpinian

posted Hide Post
Hello:

I have found out that Ray will be at the West Hollywood Book Fair on September 28th and at Vroman's bookstore on October 31st are there any other dates in relations to the ongoing fight to save the Long Beach Public library?
I hope to attend at least one of the events, if this helps anyone wanting to attend a book signing!